R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreasing the Grooves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mountain mist View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greasing the Grooves
    Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 7:22pm
Still struggling with getting the awning through the c channel.  I trimmed the ends, put silicone spray in the channel (again) and get it in about 10 inches before it hits a screw head, tugging just does not get it.
The husband did some hand tighting and said that some of the screws were just turning loosely in the holes and of course others have those rounded heads in the way. Why was flat head screws not used for thisOuch
I have been the last several hours sitting on my deck , trimming the entire runner on the awning with a box cutter. Tomorrow is another day,will get out and see if that works at all. Glad I started working on it here at home instead of first time at the campground.
Short of taking it to my dealer and having them replace the screws, I just may put an umbrella over my head and call it an awningSleepy

'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 12:28pm
With or without your dome, I'm glad to hear you are finally getting out camping, Mountain Mist.
B
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 11:06am
If you countersink the screws, don't forget to put a dab of waterproof sealant into the hole or on the screw.  If not, you are allowing water to possibly migrate into the Pod's structure.
TIDALWAVE
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 10:42am
Originally posted by mountain mist

I either do not have the needed pressure to get the screws to tighten (and still concerned with slipping and gouging) or they need the power drill to tighten them down. 

Don't use a power drill to tighten them down, hand power should be more than adequate. With a power drill it's too easy to overtighten them and strip the hole out. You may need to remove the screw, and "countersink" the screw hole a bit in the aluminum channel to give the screw head more room. You can use an actual countersink for this, or a drill bit the same diameter or slightly larger than the screw head. If you use a drill bit, just go very slowly, apply light pressure, and only drill down a tiny bit. If you press too hard or go too fast, the drill will end up going all the way through the aluminum channel before you can blink an eye.

Someone else mentioned cutting a taper on the ends of the plastic awning rope that goes through the aluminum channel. It's easy to do with a pair of scissors, and makes a big difference.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
pmjensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 9:54am
Mountain Mist, I don't want to make you feel bad, but I put ours up by myself last weekend, without any problems.  It may go up so easy since we have put it up almost every time we go camping. (About every other weekend.)

Happy Podding
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 9:36am
Just had time to try putting my awning through the c channel. I had done some tightening of the screws early on and had sprayed the channel with the silicone spray. Drats. the very first screw is blocking the wayAngry. I either do not have the needed pressure to get the screws to tighten (and still concerned with slipping and gouging) or they need the power drill to tighten them down. I have hand screw driver, so apparently (I hope) I do not have the "English" to apply to them.
Going camping on the 6th. about time.
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
pmjensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 9:53am
Welcome to the forum pwrlift.  Sorry I can't help you with the rope size.  We still have a place in our hearts for Omaha after living there for 20 + yrs.  Enjoy your Pod.  Look us up if you ever get to the Rio Grande Valley in TX.

Happy Podding 
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
pwrlift View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 11:22am
Hey folks.  I have the coleman 4 pole sunshade and am interested to attaching to my Pod.  What is the size rope do I need to fit in the channel of the Pod.  I checked the site Sailrite.com and there are two sizes - 5/16 and 3/8.  Which do I need for my Pod?

Thank you
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 6:41pm
Thanks, Blissful.  I did FINALLY find it there last week.  Took me long enough, huh?
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

blissful View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 6:23pm
Diane,

Wal-Mart sells silicon spray...it's in the automotive department.

Blissful
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>