R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreasing the Grooves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greasing the Grooves
    Posted: 22 May 2011 at 6:37pm
Another newbie put up our dome for the first time this weekend. Sprayed the channel. Didn't seem to need to enlarge the opening. But we used a vice-grip to pull the plastic edge thru the channel. Wasn't easy. It looks like it will get easier as the plastic edge gets worn down. Lots of plastic curls where the screws scraped off the material. It will be a great addition to the living space with all the options for screens/closed/ open, etc. The you tube video is highly recommended, it felt like we were doing it for the second time and not the first.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Tri-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 9:37am
I read that you could take emry cloth, which is really fine sandpaper and slid it through the grove to clear any burs. I have not tried it yet sense I am still waiting for my awning to arrive. All of these ideas sound good. Clark
2010 PR 176 sold 2012 replaced with
2013 SP 240 w outside kitchen
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
Me, My Honey, and Max our GSP
Tri-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 11:03pm
Grove problem, I went to put up my new awning and the piece that slides in the grove hits the screws which are rounded. It seems to me that they should be flat so that the grove would be open. Has anyone else noticed what types of screws hold the grove to the trailer? Clark.
2010 PR 176 sold 2012 replaced with
2013 SP 240 w outside kitchen
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
Me, My Honey, and Max our GSP
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 6:09am
Tri-POD, the screws in the c-channel on mine are square recess. I had to order(could not find them in my area) a square recess driver, so have not gotten up to tighten them up.They first showed up under my mattress when trying to get into the hot water heater cut off/on and changed those out to regular Phillips heads. My husband has a driver, but I want to be able to work on it myself and his tools are not readily avaliable. I read from forum members that they may need some tightening, then a bit of silicone SPRAY to smooth the way. I have other screws that are Phillips, the square recess is not all that common(I read) and helps with the slippage when screwing them in, so that you do not destroy the notch. I think someone on the forum said they used a fine emery sandpaper (could one use a new emery board??) to smooth the top of the screws. Your question will draw a lot of answers, I am sure. This site is something else. You never go away with no answers and sometimes you come up with very creative ways to do thingsWink
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 6:14am
PS to Tri-Pod. Did you order awning from Bear Creek? I put in an order last Friday 5/20. Be sure to let us know what you think of yours, pictures if you can. And any tips. If you know how to do graphics on canvas , let me know. I am thinking on it.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 6:17am
Podsible. Where do I find the UTUBE video on putting the awning up?
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 6:20am
Oops. You have the Dome, but the video still might be informative.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 8:58am
mountain mist, its very odd hearing that you can't find a Robertson screw driver at your local hardware store.  Its like hearing that you've never seen a Coca Cola.

You do know that there are several sizes of Robertsons?  The #2 (red handle) is most common, closely followed by a #1 (green handle).
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 9:39am
While not in the outback, there are times when something a little different is not to be found. I refuse to drive 40 miles to nearest large city where I am sure it could be found. Even the local hardware store was fresh out AND did not even know it! Only thing I could figure was it was uncommon, so they did not keep many OR this being the constant construction of malls, homes, rentals keeps everything in short supply.
So, I did the next best thing, used my fingers on Goggle , found a description on what they looked like, and a site to order. And I am getting a small set. So will include the #2 and #3 , which I read is the most common ones used?Stern Smile Interesting story about the Robertson too. Thanks for the heads up.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 9:41am
You said the #1 also, anyway the set has 6 or 7 drivers in it, including the 1
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>