R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreasing the Grooves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greasing the Grooves
    Posted: 16 May 2011 at 1:41pm
While not a new topic, I have heard that the grooves that one pulls the cord? through to set up either the Dome or a custom made fly/awning may have some "hang ups". Think I read about maybe the screw heads stuck out too far?? Did I read that some just replace the screws with something else?
I have not checked the screw heads yet. If they are seated properly, will they look and/or feel a way to tell for sure. I have some silicone spray, heard that was a goodie.
Any experiences out there with this area of improving the Pod, Thanks ahead of time
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 6:45pm
In addition to checking/tightening the screws in the c-channel and a very light spray of silicone lubricant in the c-channel, I suggest filing/rounding the corners on the ends of the c-channel and spreading the ends just a little bit with a pair of needle nose pliers to make inserting the R-DOME's plastic edge just a little bit easier.

You should probably do the same for the c-channel at the bottom of the R-POD where the screen/skit is too.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 10:45am
Outbound, is it okay to use the same silicone spray lubricant that I use for the slideout?
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 12:08pm
Long as its not a silicone GREASE and is just a silicone spray you will be all right using it on the track. I use the silicone spray on the track and it makes a world of difference, after I went through and tightened down all of the screws in the track.    Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Goose

Long as its not a silicone GREASE and is just a silicone spray you will be all right using it on the track. I use the silicone spray on the track and it makes a world of difference, after I went through and tightened down all of the screws in the track.    Goose

Yes, thanks, it IS the spray, and not the grease.  In fact it was the ONLY silicone spray I could find.  Am I just looking in the wrong department or the wrong store? Confused  I looked in Camping World, WalMart, and Home Depot in their tool/hardware departments and in automotive.  The slide-out spray at Camping World was the only silicone spray I could find.

Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 11:35am
I think that I got my can at Ace Hardware. It will probably last me a life time.
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 12:06pm
Got mine at Lowe's, ditto on the lifetime since the Pod is so small.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 1:44pm
To tell the truth, as our R-POD enters its third camping season, I have only applied silicone spray once, during the first season.  Since then, we've never had any trouble feeding the dome into the channel, so I've never bothered to reapply the spray.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Farmers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 6:06pm

Any hardware store should have a variety of brands available.  I have a can of "Pure" Silicone spray.

I also found it helps to cut a slight taper on the leading edge of the plastic bead so that it slides over the screw heads easier.
"The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark."
— John Muir
RP-177, towed by Dodge 2500 2wd
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 10:41am
Went out and checked the screws in the c-channel. They are the square recess ones like I have all in the Pod.
I think it is about time to get a couple of bits for my driver. Shoot, nothing is easyWinkThe hubby has a set, but his are under triple lock up and will do me no good. Have to have my own.
I tried, with needle nose pliers, to bend the little outer edge, I am shy of putting too much pressure on it and they don't bend without itTongue Was afraid it would slip and I would gouge the Pod.

'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>