R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedcover for stove

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: cover for stove
    Posted: 09 May 2011 at 12:09pm
I've read about some of the ways to cover the stove thereby giving more space, etc.

My stove has one knob for lighting the burner that is set up cose to an inch higher than the other one.  Has this been a problem when configuring the cover?  Or are your knobs even?  I asked the salesman about it because it looked so out of place, but he didn't know.

I will
 have to put legs of some sort for the cover to clear that knob? (thought it was going to be an easy 1,2,3 job..just place it...)

I know it's trivial....but.  thanks Ouch

Shirl

Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 12:31pm
Don't laugh at me.  Others in the forum did "carpentry" work to make legs for a tv tray they got from WalMart.  They took the legs off the tv tray and then cut 4 pieces from them to make 2" legs for their stovetop covers.

Me on the other hand, I didn't want to have to do any carpentry work.  So I unscrewed the legs off the tv tray.  Then I placed 4 adhesive backed rubber doorknob stoppers on the underside corners of the tv tray.  I got some PVC pipe glue and then glued 4 rubber chair tips to the inside of the doorknob stoppers -- this is how I made my "legs."  It's not as pretty as the ones done in woodwork, I'll admit, but hey guess what?   The stovetop cover I made will not slide off, and it doesn't rattle.  The rubber legs are like rubber bumpers!  (And I didn't have to cut, screw, or nail anything! Wink)

Here's what it looks like on the stove:

P.S.  My knobs ARE even, so I'm not sure what's up with yours!

2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 12:38pm
It's not only what "Floats your Boat" but what works for you. Nice job.   Big smile     Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by SweetPeaPod

I've read about some of the ways to cover the stove thereby giving more space, etc.

My stove has one knob for lighting the burner that is set up cose to an inch higher than the other one.  Has this been a problem when configuring the cover?  Or are your knobs even?  I asked the salesman about it because it looked so out of place, but he didn't know.

I will
 have to put legs of some sort for the cover to clear that knob? (thought it was going to be an easy 1,2,3 job..just place it...)

I know it's trivial....but.  thanks Ouch

Shirl

The knobs on our stove are even, for all practical purposes.  I haven't heard of anyone else having that problem. Maybe the knob can just be pushed down some more; I believe it is just a friction fit.
Seems like if there were other Pods there, the salesman could have compared for you. At any rate, I went the wally world tray and "carpentry" approach, but I like Hodge-Podge's approach also.
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
SweetPeaPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 1:10pm
Looks great, Hodge...thanks for the info.  Think I will try that.
PSAMAN. Thanks for that information..I'm glad I asked..Salesman was so casual about it, I didn't worry about it.  maybe that's why my propane tank was not full.  Geeze! better check it with a soap solution!!

I would not go back to this dealer anyway....
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 3:11pm
Hi Sweetpea.
 Be careful when you buy your TV tray if you go that route. The  wooden one we bought was actually 7/8 inch smaller than the dimensions given causing Tom some problems getting the legs to fit. Take your tape measure to the store.
  Ours turned out to be a combination of all the good ones we have seen here. The main thing is it works and that counter space is invaluble. Good luck with yours.
  Incidentally our two knobs were even.
B

Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
marshwatcher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 5:19pm
Don't laugh at me.........

Hodge
Why would anyone laugh? You did a great mod and with the least amount of time/effort involved. I say good job and good invention!
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 6:09pm
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 6:18pm

Oops, sorry Mr Moderator.  I guess my iPad isn't as cabaple as my R-Pod! I can't get it to do messages and bring up the keypad.

My story is that I found at Walmart a lovely cherry wood cutting board, a little priced at just under $20, but with a drip grove all around and it is just the right size to fit over the Suburban stove in the 171.  I plan to put some feet on the corners and place it over the cooktop.  Chris says it will make a great server for crackers and cheese, too!
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 8:11pm
Marshwatcher, for some reason the Pod just lends itself to "inventions."   And just look under your last post -- Podsible Dream just invented a crackers and cheese server for her stovetop cover!   LOL    Honestly, Podders are just the MOST resourceful people!
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>