R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInverter installed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inverter installed
    Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 6:21pm
It sounds like a cool, well thought out solution to the situation. 

I'm wondering if anyone is using on of the cheaper modified sine wave converters and, if so, opinions?  My Stereo/DVD player runs on 12 volts.  However, my 19" LCD does not - it consumes about 55 watts, per the lable.  Other than the TV and maybe an occasional recharge of the cell phone, I wouldn't use an inverter much and have a hard time justifying to myself the cost of a pure sine wave.  However, it would be nice to be able to watch TV, if confined inside for a while, due to bad weather, when dry camping. 
creel View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 1:06pm
We recently picked up our RP-177HRE and we're very happy with it. 
I recently installed a 2000W pure sine wave 12VDC to 115VAC inverter.
The unit itself is installed under the dinette bench where the converter and circuit breaker panel is, as I could wire the 12VDC for the inverter from the circuit breaker panel.
I then worked out which circuit is wired to the TV/DVD/Radio unit above the bed, this I disconnected from the circuit breaker.
I obtained a 115VAC rated DPDT switch (double pole double throw) as well as a general purpose power outlet with a surface mount box.
The DPDT switch is centre position off, then up or down are 'on'. 
The circuit to the TV combo I wired to the 'wipers' of the DPDT, then, one 115VAC output from the inverter to one of the 'on' poles of the DPDT and the circuit breaker circuit, that was directly wired to the TV combo, to the other 'on' position of the DPDT.
The second 115VAC output from the inverter I wired directly to the new general purpose outlet, which allows us to use mains operated appliances when not connected to external AC.
The extra outlet and the DPDT switch I located on the left side of the seat box, facing the kitchenette.
So, the way it works is, when we are connected to an external AC source at a campground, I flip the DPDT switch to what I call the 'EXT AC' 'on' position, then the TV combo is powered as originally designed.
When we are camping with no external AC power available and we want to watch TV, DVD or listen to the radio, I flip the DPDT switch to what I call the 'INV' 'on' position and the inverter comes into play.
Works a charm and this way we can use the TV combo anytime when we're not connected to an external AC source.
I also re routed the inverter power switch to a free spot on the circuit breaker panel.
I know it sounds confusing, but really is pretty straight forward if you've had a bit of experience with electrical wiring.
One important thing to remember, whenever using an inverter, the batteries of the RV are being used, so need to keep an eye on the charge level. I added a second battery to our R-Pod, this way, it gives us plenty more 'juice'.
If anybody is interested, I can draw up a simple diagram.
Other mods, made a wooden stove cover which can be used as a chopping board, also added some 3M adhesive hooks in strategic places.
Also added cargo tie down points in the external storage area.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123