R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat is your favorite - Event Date: 24 Apr 2011 - 24 May 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What is your favorite type of camping and why?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.94%]
7 [20.59%]
11 [32.35%]
15 [44.12%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: What is your favorite
    Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 7:42am
A number of us probably do all types of camping thoughout the season...what's your favorite?  Percentage wise, how much of each do you do? 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 7:52am
Personally, my favorite camping is primative/developed in the National Parks.  However, with that said, I do most of my camping (say 80%) in developed with electricity.  Most all  of our State Parks are set up this way.  I will use the commercial campgrounds, as needed, for overnight stays while enroute to my destination.

I like the primative as it seems to be less heavily used and, though not always, the sites seem more spacious and spaced further apart.
MissPolly View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 9:51am
I am new and not confident to use anything except full hook ups yet. But who know what my new RV lifestyle will bring! (but I sure do love the ac)
Faux Pod owner, mother to Strike 7 mths old future left handed relief pitcher, and Atlas 3 yr old Neo Mastiff
Flagstaff Micro Lite XLT 18RK
2008 Jeep Wrangler 4door
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 11:54am
Like David, we tend to do most of our camping in MI state parks, most of which are limited to electricity only on site. The MI state parks tend to have the primo locations and you can make reservations online.

Haven't tried any of the State or National Forest campgrounds yet, they have good locations too but are more primitive and usually first come first served. Pretty inexpensive too. Maybe this summer ...
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 4:38pm
My views are similar to David's: I prefer the rustic campsites found in Provincial and National Parks.

To tell the truth, the only real need (as in must have) I see for electric hookups is to run the A/C at night.  Everything else can run on battery or simply not be used at all.  Fortunately, 'round here, A/C is only needed at night 4-5 times a year.  And, if we head north, A/C really isn't needed at all; I can't remember a single time that we've ever turned on the A/C at night in Algonquin.

In the past, we tended to book sites with electric hookups.  But, these sites do come at a premium cost and they tend to book up quickly.  They're also a bit RV-touristy, which is starting to grate on my nerves at bit.  This year, we're increasing our dry camping and are venturing to some new campgrounds which are less travelled by the RV crowd.  I'm looking forward to it.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 6:56pm
I really enjoy camping in the undeveloped spots.   We have AC on our unit but I think if I used it twice that may be on the high side.  I keep looking at it (as I bang my head on it) and think about removing it and placing a sky light there.  We also got the micro/convection Oven and have used it once.  We use our camper a lot at Girl Scout camps that we work at for sleeping and this winter was pulled around to different parking lots or sites to use as we ran training classes.  I have found that I can get by with the 2 batteries I have on the camper. 
Pawpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 8:40pm
Hope to try out all 5 types this year. Have to let you know later
Ready to pod around!
Leaflin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 9:15pm
Our favorite is primative/developed in National Parks and National Forests. We also like US Army Corps of Engineers which have some electric. Shenandoah National Park is our favorite.
Leaf-Pod 173
97 Ford Explorer
http://www.leaflin.net
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Leaflin

Our favorite is primative/developed in National Parks and National Forests. We also like US Army Corps of Engineers which have some electric. Shenandoah National Park is our favorite.
Leaflin,  
We will be camping at Big Meadows the first weekend in June if you get up that way.   We hope to get in some good hiking that weekend.
Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
Leaflin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Brin

Leaflin,  
We will be camping at Big Meadows the first weekend in June if you get up that way.   We hope to get in some good hiking that weekend.

If we are home that weekend I would love to pop up there. I'll let you know closer to the date.
Have you reserved a site? My favorite is E185, a bit windy in the fall but the view is wonderful.
Leaf-Pod 173
97 Ford Explorer
http://www.leaflin.net
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>