R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRunning fridge?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running fridge?
    Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 3:46pm
In tests I've done at home, the RPOD plugged in with just the A/C running (converter on but the battery fully charged, the fridge off, the water heater off, the Micro/Convection plugged in but not running, and the TV/DVD plugged in but not running) draws 9.64 amps.

(click to embiggen)

The outlet you see in the picture is wired with 15 amp Romex and is protected by a 15 amp circuit breaker.  I've never had any problem running the A/C in my RPOD while plugged into that outlet.

All the same, if an extension cord is required, I do not suggest using anything but a 30 amp RV extension cord.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 11:13am
We keep ours in the driveway plugged directly in to 15amp wall plug with the adapter and surge protector during camping season (almost over in Houston; already waiting for Fall!). That keeps the fridge running and the battery charged for when we need it. I've tried running AC on the 15 amp and had some success, but it's probably not a good idea. It ended up throwing the breaker in the trailer off - which is probably a good thing considering the alternatives.

DisapproveThumbs UpDisapproveThumbs UpDisapproveThumbs UpDisapproveThumbs UpDisapproveThumbs UpDisapproveThumbs UpDisapproveThumbs Up
Disclaimer: I found this at http://www.uvsconsole.com/clients/howa//files/Understanding%20Your%20RVs%20110v%20Electrical%20System.pdf and I don't suggest or condone running your AC on 15 amp plug:
What can I run on 15-20 amps?
If you are using an AC adapter/reducer that goes from a 30 amp plug to a 15 amp plug you will be able to use even less AC powered items. Most roof Air Conditioners kick-on at 16-18 amps, and draw a steady current of 12-15 amps. If you are plugged into a 15 amp outlet, it will most likely trip the breaker at the plug/source, even if you do not have any other AC item on. The RVs power converter alone will require 2-6 amps, and this item is ALWAYS ON when the RV is plugged into shore power. PLEASE NOTE: It is recommended that you do not use a 15-20 amp outlet to run an Air Conditioner. It will most likely over-heat the adapter and/or the extension cord and could cause a fire. It is suggested that a 15-20 amp plug only be used for the following; charging the batteries, running a few lights, and running the refrigerator. While on a 15-20 amp plug, make sure you use the water heater on LP gas and limit the use of all other 120v appliances or items that would be plugged into outlets.

Techntrek said on another string that the AC uses 1000 watts when running. If Watts = Amps x Volts, then a 15A x 110V wall socket should provide 1650 watts, right? Even if 5A is going to the power converter you still have 10A x 110W = 1100W, which would be enough to run the AC alone, right? I know it takes more to kick on and off, but assuming it can kick on, theoretically it should be able to run.
I'm no electrician, so don't take my word for it, and correct me if I'm wrong. I can take CONSTRUCTIVE critisizm.

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172
Bigbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 9:05am
My trailer is in storage about a mile away with no access to 120V, so the evening before my trip, I stop by the storage place, turn the propane on in my rig, flip the battery switch on (I installed a kill switch), fire up a burner on the stove top so that I know that the propane is flowing, then turn the fridge on.  I listen carefully to make sure that the gas heater on the fridge is running and that the piezo starter has stopped (it goes "tick-tick-tick-tick-tick" when trying to start the fridge heater).  I'm good to go.

The next day, when you come to get your rig, you can flip it over to 12V operation once hooked up to your TV.  
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 7:54am
 We use a 15 amp. adapter for the refrigerator a day before we leave without any problem. We have a extension cord with the 15 amp. adapter connected all the time for tha battery charger. You will not be able to use much more the AC and Microwave would be too much of a load.     David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

jayber View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 6:00am
I had a question about the operation of the refrigerator.  How do I turn it on a day or so before I go camping ? Can I use a 30a to 15a adapter and an extension cord ?, or do I do something else.  I apologize for such a basic question but when we got our pod delivered we didn't get any walkthru of system operations.
Jay
2010 Honda Odyssey
RP 171 aka PodInn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12