R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Need measurements from anyone who owns an RP-172..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed measurements from anyone who owns an RP-172..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need measurements from anyone who owns an RP-172..
    Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 11:03am
Thanks for the info, Gary.  Actually, just stacking those dishpans in the basement storage is a good idea given the smaller footprint we have on the RPods compared to my fifth wheel which I downsized from.  I can't wait for school to get out so I can go camping for real -- instead of just in the driveway.  Happy Podding!
Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 11:45pm
Hey Diane, 

I found the black dish pan tubs in the kitchen section of Walmart, along side the dish strainers and such.  No, they don't have lids, but I liked it better that way because I put my water hose and filters in one of them, my extra sewer hose in another one, and my electrical wires in another... then I slide them both into the pass through storage in the back of the Pod.  I also used the smaller size black dish pan for under the burners/sink where I have the cleaning liquids.  All in all, I'm really happy with my mods, except that it's draining my wallet.  Now it's time to adjust the budget for the rising fuel prices.  No more mods for me for a while.  Embarrassed

Gary
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 10:01pm
"I just bought 4 of walmart's larger black dish pan tubs. . . ."

Secretbard, this is for you . . . .
 About those black "dish pan tubs," do they have lids, and did they come from the housekeeping section of Walmart?   I'm still trying to figure out the most efficient basement storage for sewer fittings, hoses and electrical cords, so that's why I asked.
Diane

For anyone  else who MAY be interested, here's what I have done for INSIDE STORAGE:

--  I have 2 Rubbermaid storage tubs that I will be using for food and groceries inside the dinette bench.

--  I have 2 rolling hamper type tubs under the bed, one for towels and bedding, the other will be for my clothes, and I still have room for a narrow duffle bag. 

--  I hung a shoe storage bag (20 pockets) over the outside bathroom door.  It's holds extra toilet tissue,  extra wash cloths, trash bags, etc.

--  Over the top of the 20-pocket shoe bag I hung an over-the-door towel rack with 3 graduating tiers (from Wal-mart).

--  I attached a folding "Instahanger" for clothes on the wall just under the ceiling and just outside the bathroom door corner on the bed side.  Since I hung it right on the corner edge I was hoping I would be putting the screws into a 2x4 but it is just drywall there.  I put in drywall anchors but I'm not real sure it's as secure as I would like it to be.

--  I hung a plastic corner shelf in the bathroom,  a 6-pocket mesh storage hanger on the wall, and a small storage cup over the sink (I took off the suction cups and inserted small 3M hooks instead.)

--  Borrowing from the ideas of others, I made a stovetop cover from a wooden t.v. tray.  DON'T LAUGH LOL, but I didn't want to do all the extensive carpentry work, so I made 4 rubber legs by using PVC glue to glue together 4 round rubber doorknob stops (with self-adhesive backing) to 4 rubber replacement feet you get for chair legs to make 4 rubber legs for my cover.  I let the PVC glue dry, then I used the adhesive side of the door stop to stick to the underside of the t.v. tray.  The great thing about it is that the rubber legs won't slip or slide.  Some people might object to the white color though.

. . . Oh, and one other thing I did do for OUTSIDE STORAGE, I asked Home Depot to cut a 10-ft. piece of PVC pipe in half.  I bought 2 fittings that glue on the ends and 2 screw-on caps, and I made myself another sewer hose carrier.  I drilled some small holes on the bottom side for ventilation, and I attached it behind the battery to the top of the POD tongue with bungies.  Maybe I can talk my husband or one of my sons into attaching it with brackets and screws, but it's actually pretty secure even if it isn't "pretty."  I did have to screw off my sewer hose fittings though and store them in a tub, but as someone else said, I can live with that.

Diane

Hmmm, maybe I should have posted this in the MODS forum, but really, I mostly got my ideas from others anyway.  That's the great thing about the owners' forums!
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

marshwatcher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 8:21am
Glad to hear you picked up the pod with no issues. It sounds like you are well on your way to having fun. Welcome to the the Pod People!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 12:28am
For the rear pass through storage I just bought 4 of walmart's larger black dish pan tubs and they work great for storing the hose, electric cord, and hitch stuff.  For the interior storage, for which there is one storage area under the bunk bed and one under the left cushion of the U sofa, I bought 6 of walmart's locktop plastic containers.  I'm using one for clothing, one for extra bed sheets, and other for things such as books, etc.  It really looks great in my Rpod, especially since I added the Bose sound system.  Star  Anyway, I look forward to many hours towing this baby across the country.  The only downside is that bringing it back from the dealership in Atlantic City, I only got 10.6 mpg.  That's about 40% drop in gas milage, but I guess I can't complain... just have to revise the budget for all that extra gas usage.  
pabloa3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 10:33am
We just picked our 172 HRE yesterday. Curious, what bins are you using? I'd like to pick up some bins as week.

Paul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 2:24am
Thanks anyway.  I'll know tomorrow as I'm picking up my Rpod tomorrow.  Big smile
Hank View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 1:28am
Just an fyi. The beneth the U-shaped dinette is one storage compartment ( on the left side when facing the dinette ).  The under the rear longer seat is the outside pass through compartment and under the right side is the hot water heater and the furnace. Not sure what the measurements of the other compartments are, on vacation and can't check.
'11 172
'07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 10:36pm
Anyone have measurements?  Thanks.  :)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 9:34pm
Hey guys.  I'll be picking up my RP-172 this Friday the 22nd and would like to buy some bins for the inside and pass-through storage compartments.  I know this is asking a lot, but could those of you who own the 2010 RP-172 go out and measure the compartments.  I need the length, width, and depth of five compartments.  These measurements would be for: 1) The outdoor pass-through compartment, 2) the measurement of the compartment below the bunk bed, 3) The measurement below each of the three compartments below the U shaped dinette sofa.

Thank you in advance for all who help me with these measurements.  Smile

Gary 
 Post Reply Post Reply