R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

creating an instruction & maintenance manual

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 25>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Puck Podders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: creating an instruction & maintenance manual
    Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 10:26am
This info is fantastic for us. Our dealer also gave us a Galaxie 3 tablet preloaded with all the manuals and apps for camping. It is also very handy. I appreciate the time so many contribute to this site.
Rick & Wilma
'Hairy' Gracie
2015 178
GMC Sierra
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2014 at 11:56pm
RCU, not sure what you mean.  The first post in this thread lists all of the topics, with links to posts later in the thread with details.  Those later posts also include a link to relevant threads that have discussed the topic.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
RCU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RCU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 12:12am
Sorry, I saw the same post date coming up whenever I clicked on the manual. Now that I have read it I get it was my incomplete review of the data. Most of what I have learned has been thru trial and error so far nothing to expensive in the error dept. We are fortunate to have come across R Pod Owners Forum. To me a real treasure chest of information. We really have enjoyed our "11" 171 from the day we took it off the lot. So thank you all who contribute. I have copied many of the Mods on this Forum. And hope to contribute some in the future.
Recreational Care Unit (RCU)
jan demarinis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote jan demarinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 1:07am
I am so grateful for this group. Helpful, informative, funny and generous. Best part of my day is reading the posts.
ANGCHIEF View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote ANGCHIEF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 9:05am
We had a similar issue - draining the gray water and very little would come out but we knew there was grey water in the tank. Hubby got down and looked up the black pipe and fished out a chunk of Styrofoam; as soon as he worked that out the grey water flowed smoothly. Chuck of Styrofoam was larger than anything that would have gotten through the sink strainer (I use a dishpan most times, anyway!). It's these little "what the hecks?" that keep the camping experience fun!!!
Jan and Dean
2014 178
rickincambridge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rickincambridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 11:30am
I have a 2011 Ford Exporer with a 6,800 pound towing capacity and am considering buying an R Pod Mod. 179.  Do I really need anti sway bars like the dealer recommends?
rickincambridge
duck42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote duck42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 6:01pm
Some matter of discussion and preference here depending upon what you have experienced towing the RPOD with your tow vehicle (which you have not yet). Although not an absolute necessity, most podders prefer to go the safe and conservative route and invest $400-600 in combination sway control load leveler type hitch. Anderson http://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/andersen-nosway-weight-distribution-hitch.aspx makes a good one that is easy to install yourself, others are fine also. At a minimum I would suggest a $50.00 friction antisway bar such as can be found at Harbor freight.  When the weather is rough and windy and large trucks are sailing by you on the interstate, you will probably be glad you installed an anti-sway bar.
duck42
wagnert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wagnert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 9:54pm
We have a model 177. I use a single sway bar and am glad for it. Mounts on the side of the hitch and connects to the RPod tongue. Some passing vehicles cause a little sway and certain "wavy" road conditions set up a sway movement. I do not have a load leveler, and do not think it necessary given the ultra light RPod weight.

Tom Wagner
2012 R-Pod 177
2003 Toyota Sienna
k4fcp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote k4fcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 4:03pm
I'll jump in here because there seems to be a lot of discussion which starts with, "can I get by with..." or "Do I need......" there also seems to be some confusion as to maximum tow weight, etc.

My2013  F-150 4X4 has a tow max of somewhere around 7,000lbs; HOWEVER, Ford doesn't recommend you tow more 5,000 lbs.  Please remember this is maximum and assumes you are using proper, safe towing procedure, speed, etc. I wouldn't even think about towing anything over 2,000lbs without a good WDR and sway bar, and the F-150 even has a built in anti sway feature with the tow package.

First of all, the truck trailer rig is so much nicer, easier, saves gas, and helps you lose weight, when I have a weight distributor/load leveler and sway bar hooked up properly. It makes the whole driving experience feel much much more solid.  Back to what I started this post with, I don't think we should be thinking about minimum safety requirements or what we can get by with.  I would hope that the "pros" on this forum have safety as foremost and tow vehicle, trailer, and equipment is all part of that equation.  This forum has excellent advice for the most part.

I've been towing trailers for 40 years and would never get myself in a bad situation while towing.  I actually really thought that but the following little story is a good example of why you do not want to just get by or the , "do I need......" mindset.

I was returning from a trip not far (40 miles) from my house and had to detour from nice, wide two lane onto a rather small country road due to bad accident ahead of me.  I took a small two lane road and was enjoying the nice little deviation with both windows down.  A hornet/wasp flew in my window and went down my t-shirt.  I'm allergic and did a little jerking and twisting just enough to start the trailer swaying and this caused physics to take over and start jerking trailer and truck back and forth.  I absolutely believe that without the proper vehicle, WDR, and sway bar that I would have ended up on my side.  A nice guy came back to tell me that's exactly what he thought was going to happen as he was traveling in the opposite lane.  He also said, "that was some of the best driving I've seen"  My driving was just a small part of why things did not go badly for me.

I realize I sound "preachy", but the above can happen to any of us and $400-600 is a small price to pay for the added security, and your rig will handle so much better!!  I did see the integrated anti sway light flashing on the dash as this was happening...so thank you Ford.
(OK, I am leaving out that when I got home I also realized I had failed to empty about 15 gallons of fresh water.......yes, I know better and NEVER do that.  ....and yes I do realize I'm not that bright.
Rich
2013 R-177
2013 Ford F 150 4X4
(yeah, bought a new truck)!
Tbslants View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tbslants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 6:54pm
Hi All,

This is my first camper...
and I am trying to figure if I should winterize it myself or take to a local camper dealership and
have them do it?
I have a 179 (2014)...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I am pretty handy
but worried I will miss something.

Thanks
Tina

PS What is a reasonable cost to have a dealer winterize the camper for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 25>