R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

creating an instruction & maintenance manual

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 25>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: creating an instruction & maintenance manual
    Posted: 31 Mar 2015 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by blondie

Help, I don't see the links. Up above at the beginning?

They are all on page one.. (1).

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 7:04pm
Some notes on weight distribution hitch (WDH) types.

There are 4 types of sway and/or weight distribution, with the sway bar being the lowest level.  It doesn't do any WD and only attempts to stop sway after it has started.  However, I always recommend the next level for pods, a full WDH that includes sway control.  The lowest level here is a combined WD with friction control, like the Equalizer or E2.  Above that is the cam type like the Reese Dual Cam, which actively prevents sway before it starts.  The highest level is the Hensley Arrow which actually guarantees no sway period.

If the dealer installs your WDH, it likely isn't installed right.  Often because they do it when you buy it so the pod is still empty.  It must be loaded up like you are ready for a camping trip (including water in the fresh water tank if you usually travel like that, battery, propane).  Some go as far as having their family sit in the truck, or adding weight to simulate them.  You may need to adjust your WDH at home, and this is the most comprehensive instructional on how to set up a WDH I've ever seen.  I used it to tweak my current WDH.  http://www.rv.net/FORUM/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17730894.cfm

Some vehicles now come with "sway control" built in as an active anti-sway system.  This is really an extention of the traction control system, which uses an on-board gyroscope to detect unusual yaw and applies individual brakes (while temporarily reducing the throttle) to straighten out the vehicle.  This is secondary to the products mentioned above.  With improper loading or other conditions (see the write-up on contributors to sway) you could go all day with a constant sway problem.  The TV's sway control system will end up putting lots of additional wear and heating on the brakes, possibly even reducing your effective power when you need it.  That is fine as an occasional backup to the primary sway prevention on the hitch but shouldn't be used as the primary system.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 12:53pm
Added more info on built-in sway control systems that some TVs have.
RCU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RCU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 1:39pm
I have always made every effort at proper weight when loading for long trips. I do have a WD system with out the sway control. I also have a Camco sway bar to assist with sway. Before our last journey, I installed the R Pod lift kit and changed out wheels to 15" steel.
I did recalibrate the WD system. Noticed more sway. Wondered if a second Camco bar would help?
Recreational Care Unit (RCU)
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 5:07pm
Is the pod level or slightly nose-down when the WDH is engaged, and are you sure you have 15% tongue weight?
RCU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RCU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 11:28am
The trailer is level. On the tounge are spare tire, one battery, one propane cylinder, one camco sway control unit and a husky electronic power jack. I revisit level's during and after loading. We have a trip planned to Oregon coast this year and hope to solve this issue prior. The commercial outlet s are recommending a new WD system with sway control. That seems to be to me just sales. This forum is always to me the most reliable and noncommercial reference.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 9:38pm
If you have trunnion (square) spring bars are they angled slightly down, if they are round are they level with the pod frame?  Which WD brand do you have?
RCU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RCU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 11:30am
Interesting response, no one has even hinted at the notion square or round. My WD is round bars. I was under the impression the WD system bars should be level with both TV and trailer. Have the grand babies today, be playing with the trailer tomorrow.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 7:47pm
Level is good with the round bars.  What brand do you have so I can look up the instructions?
RCU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RCU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 11:46pm
Sorry about not getting back to you right away. One of the grandkids had auto accident. You can always count on a teen to not take driving and cell phones as things you don't do together. And when you say something to them to remind them you are thought to be harping. She is fine the car is a loss. The WD is a XPW 10K.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 25>