R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

creating an instruction & maintenance manual

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 25>
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: creating an instruction & maintenance manual
    Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Thinkcooper

One thing this newbie podder noticed seems to be missing? Gray Water/Black Water labeling on the pod, and draining. My 177 has labels and two drains for Waste Water and Sewer Water. Not sure which is Black, which is Gray, and what the best process is for handling / dumping the nasty water. Any gloves you guys use, or process to keep from making a mess?

On a 177, grey (waste water) is in the back, black (sewer water) is in the front. On most campers they are actually together, but when they aren't, or even when they are so you know which to pull first, the fittings are the same for the dump hose, but if you look behind the valve on the camper, one drain line is 2" one is 4".. the bigger one.. moves solids.. Wink

I buy a 100 pack of disposable gloves at home depot etc. Small bottle of hand sanitizer in bag with them in rear cargo hold, along with paper towels.
Dump black first, then grey to rinse the tube. Should be a non potable hose there, rinse the dump hose with that, drain, store. Throw away gloves, wipe down with some sanitizer, towel off.. roll on.

If you have never dumped before, don't panic, like many things EVERYBODY had to do it for the first time. Every now and then you might get jerk in line who doesn't remember this, but don't sweat it. Watch a few people, see what they did/do wrong, try not to do the same. Smile

I have full hookups at home.. maybe kymooses and I should do a video.. come spring thaw..

on that thought.. video
Thinkcooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Thinkcooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by furpod

Originally posted by Thinkcooper

One thing this newbie podder noticed seems to be missing? Gray Water/Black Water labeling on the pod, and draining. My 177 has labels and two drains for Waste Water and Sewer Water. Not sure which is Black, which is Gray, and what the best process is for handling / dumping the nasty water. Any gloves you guys use, or process to keep from making a mess?

On a 177, grey (waste water) is in the back, black (sewer water) is in the front. On most campers they are actually together, but when they aren't, or even when they are so you know which to pull first, the fittings are the same for the dump hose, but if you look behind the valve on the camper, one drain line is 2" one is 4".. the bigger one.. moves solids.. Wink

I buy a 100 pack of disposable gloves at home depot etc. Small bottle of hand sanitizer in bag with them in rear cargo hold, along with paper towels.
Dump black first, then grey to rinse the tube. Should be a non potable hose there, rinse the dump hose with that, drain, store. Throw away gloves, wipe down with some sanitizer, towel off.. roll on.

If you have never dumped before, don't panic, like many things EVERYBODY had to do it for the first time. Every now and then you might get jerk in line who doesn't remember this, but don't sweat it. Watch a few people, see what they did/do wrong, try not to do the same. Smile

I have full hookups at home.. maybe kymooses and I should do a video.. come spring thaw..

on that thought.. video

"How to make the best of a s****y situation" Big smile

Thank you!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2014 at 12:24pm
There are several places that are ok with RVs overnight - Cracker Barrel, most Wal-Marts, truck stops. There is a camping store I can't think of right now which apparently has a breakfast buffet.

There is no charge to stay at these places but the unwritten rule is you should buy something from them. Not hard to do, I always fill up with gas at the truck stops and we always seem to need something from Wal-Mart. Haven't done Cracker Barrel but I would certainly get breakfast if we did.

Two more rules. Always ask the manager, and never make it look like you are camping - no chairs, no awnings, if possible keep slide-outs in. Running a generator is fine, just don't use a cheap contractor screamer. We always look up the number for the next Wal-Mart and call ahead. Some cities have made it illegal to stay in any parking lot so there are some Wal-Marts where they'll tell you no. If they say yes we ask where they want us, usually it is around back or on the sides. While I fill up gas at a truck stop my wife will go in and ask if we can stay and where they want us (pointing out our camper so they see we are buying their gas). They usually do NOT want you to take up a truck bay and will point to a corner of the parking lot. I prefer that anyway since that gets you away from the diesel fumes. No reason to call ahead since they are always in locations where it is legal, obviously. I would call ahead to the other places like Cracker Barrel.

We prefer truck stops over Wal-Mart. We've had a few experiences with locals - they know the RVs are there every night and like to mess around or worse, if there isn't overnight security (some have it). We've had a car do a burnout down the line of RVs at 3 am, kids checking things out a little too closely, etc. Locals will not mess with truckers if they value their life and the trucks are moving through all night - lots of eyeballs keeping watch - so that is our preferred stop.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
codycountry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote codycountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 7:19pm
My 2013 177 has dual batteries.  How does that change the above comments?   Many thanks.  Codycountry
CharlieM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CharlieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2014 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by codycountry

My 2013 177 has dual batteries.  How does that change the above comments?   Many thanks.  Codycountry

Not sure what comments you are referring to. The dual batteries do not have any effect or interaction with the waste water system. Have you posted in the wrong thread  or am I missing something?
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2014 at 10:31am
This is the general manual thread so he could be referring to any one of a dozen topics.  codycountry, let us know what you are referring to.
R-POD QUEBEC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote R-POD QUEBEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 3:33pm
Is it normal that my floor shows 35% humidity after re êrtre A1 Manufacturer Forest River.
Denis Paré
Quebec, Canada.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/RPODQUEBEC/
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by R-POD QUEBEC

Is it normal that my floor shows 35% humidity after re êrtre A1 Manufacturer Forest River.
Denis Paré
Quebec, Canada.

If I understand your question..

Humidity in the Pod tends to be about the same as outside, when the pod is unoccupied. When camping, it will be higher. It's a small space with lots of water vapor being exhaled. Try cracking the vent.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by furpod

Originally posted by R-POD QUEBEC

Denis Paré
Quebec, Canada.

If I understand your question..

Humidity in the Pod tends to be about the same as outside, when the pod is unoccupied. When camping, it will be higher. It's a small space with lots of water vapor being exhaled. Try cracking the vent.

Yes, humans put out something like a liter of water a day between perspiration and breathing.  Stick 3-4 of them in a camper overnight and you'll have a sauna.  The pods are sealed fairly well so they get very humid if you don't keep a window and the bathroom vent slightly open.

OhTallMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote OhTallMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 6:32am
Let me add a suggestion or so that may, or may not, be obvious:

Take it from an ex-truck driver (for what it's worth):
  1. When the spotter is directing the driver back they should point to the direction the back of the trailer should go - not the direction to steer. They should always be on the driver's side of the vehicle.
  2. The spotter should never simply twirl their hands in a direction for the driver to steer, especially if they are not the experienced backer. Plus, a mirrored image of the person's twirling hand will appear  backward to the driver.
  3. Try to never back into a spot from the blind (right) side. You can't see the back of the trailer from that side to make judgments and corrections.
    1. Drive past the site with the site on the driver's side and as close to the entrance as possible, then steer right (away from the site) to help line up the trailer. 
    2. Open the window and turn off all radios, etc. 
    3. Now you can not only see with the mirrors and hear your spotter who should be on the driver's side, you can look directly back through the driver's window to see your progress.
  4. If the site directly across from yours is empty or if there is enough room drive into it to straighten your trailer and back directly into your site.
  5. Plus something truckers do: Turn on your 4-way hazard flashers when backing. Even if others don't know what it means, they will know something different is happening or about to happen and hopefully be more careful near you.
I hope this helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 25>