R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

creating an instruction & maintenance manual

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 25>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchipperPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: creating an instruction & maintenance manual
    Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 11:26am
Doug, you totally ROCK!  Thank you!  This is so helpful to a newbie like me!  So many things I would forget - even something as little as sunglasses from the cars!  I really appreciate you sharing these!!
Happy tails and trails!
Teri & Jeff Black
Plus 4 Schipperkes: Kodi, Jessie, Maggie & Bear
2014 R-Pod 178
2013 Santa Fe Sport Turbo
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 1:36pm
Not a problem.  These lists are literally from years of trial and error, like the year we went to the beach for a week and left the remains from a chicken dinner in the kitchen trash can.  We could smell it the second we came in the front door.  So the trash can was added to the list!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 8:54am
Backing up

Try taking your pod to the local school parking lot after-hours for practice. 

1. This works for some - grab the bottom of the steering wheel with one hand and move your hand left if you want the trailer to go left, right if you want the trailer to go right.  The steering wheel will turn the right and your TV will go right when you move your hand to the left - but the trailer will go left.  But you don't have to think about any of that which is why the trick works. 

2. Make very small turns on the steering wheel, the trailer will amplify everything you do.  While learning, often bring the steering wheel straight again.

3. Sometimes you just need to pull forward a few feet to strighten things out and then start back again, instead of trying to make bigger and bigger corrections while you are still going backwards.

4. Never take your eyes off of your mirrors.  The second you do, you will jackknife.  Again, the trailer amplifys everything you do so it will go from a slight angle to a 90 degree angle with just a few feet of motion if you don't pay attention.

5. Always have your spotter stay near the camper's left or right rear corner, whichever side is the one you can see with your side mirror.  Never behind where you could run over them but far enough behind that they can see everything back there.  Backing campers are magnets for kids, dogs and picnic tables.  Yes, picnic tables will magically move while you are backing your camper!  My biggest rule for spotters - if they disappear from your side mirror you don't let your foot off of the brake until they reappear in one of your side mirrors, no matter how much they keep yelling "c'mon back".

Edit: added #6.
6. (this really should be #1) Roll down the front windows and turn off the radio so you can hear your spotter and unusual noises, like the low-hanging tree branch you both missed that is now slowly removing the television antenna from the roof by force.  Also get out and walk around with your spotter before you begin so you both know what is in the way and exactly where you are putting the camper.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dsmiths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 8:35pm
good advice techntrek. when I am backing and Donna steps out of view I stop, she asks , why did you stop ? Because I can't see you or hear what you say. I am still trying to get her to use simple hand signals, back, right left , both hands up stop. I need communication when backing into tight spots. both arms folded on chest mean nothing to me.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
wagnert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wagnert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 10:51pm
Getting a maintenance manual in one place is a needed and GREAT idea.
I'd like to suggest an additional category:  Slide-out.

I have questions to put under that category:
What maintenance is needed on the slide-out?
Does the mechanical part of the slide-out need lube? If so, with what lube? And where should it be applied? How do I get to those places?
I just ordered some rubber protectant from Amazon to protect the RPod's rubber seals around the slide, door, etc.

303 Products 30350 Aerospace Protectant - 32 oz.

The description and user reviews are very good.

Anything else I need or should do to my slide-out?

Thanks, Tom Wagner

(No longer a newbie, but could not find the place to change my newbie designation)

Tom Wagner
2012 R-Pod 177
2003 Toyota Sienna
kymooses View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by wagnert

Getting a maintenance manual in one place is a needed and GREAT idea.
I'd like to suggest an additional category:  Slide-out.

I have questions to put under that category:
What maintenance is needed on the slide-out?
Does the mechanical part of the slide-out need lube? If so, with what lube? And where should it be applied? How do I get to those places?
I just ordered some rubber protectant from Amazon to protect the RPod's rubber seals around the slide, door, etc.

303 Products 30350 Aerospace Protectant - 32 oz.

The description and user reviews are very good.

Anything else I need or should do to my slide-out?

Thanks, Tom Wagner

(No longer a newbie, but could not find the place to change my newbie designation)

Per technicians at Forest River.  I asked similar questions to them this year at the International Rally.  For your seals all that is needed is a bit of silicon spray I was told.  Perhaps a quarterly or bi-yearly cleaning lubing of sorts with that spray.

And on the slide mechanism, they recommended just a little spray of a spray type lubricant onto the mechanical gear.  

They said it was just a bit of little maintenance you could do, by all means it's not something they think most owners would ever do but as a "going the extra step" kinda thing that would be about all that is needed.
waterflaws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote waterflaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 11:48pm
What size socket wrench is needed to unscrew the plug?  1" socket is too small. The large socket may also need a 1/2" adapter for 3/8"(?) wrenches.  I've been, unsuccessfully working at getting ours out, all evening. 

I answered my own question - see below (plus a link to the Suburban website).
r-pod 2013 177
TV 2002 Sport Trac
The Pod Couple
Sleepless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sleepless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 11:53pm
I learned one additional precaution when we full-timed at one campground in Florida for 6 months in a new motor home with two large slides.  If you have slide toppers (retractable awnings over the slides) they will help keep the slide tops cleaner.  However, they don't keep water off of the top of the slides and they offer great homes for tree frogs.  When we retracted our slides, there were a few gallons of water on top of the slides, under the topper, along with 7 or 8 tree frogs.  Something to consider if you have camped on the same sight for a prolonged period of time.

Actual mainenance on these slides and on the 2 travel trailers before was virtually non-existant.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche

Post Options Post Options   Quote waterflaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 12:17am
How do you pre-fill the water heater? 
r-pod 2013 177
TV 2002 Sport Trac
The Pod Couple

Post Options Post Options   Quote waterflaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 12:41pm
This from Suburban's website http://www.rvcomfort.com/suburban/service/water_questions.php 

Are all water heaters equipped with an Anode Rod? What is its function? When should it be changed?

Only Suburban water heaters feature an anode rod. The anode equalizes aggressive water action, providing cathodic protection for the tank. It is a very important factor in tank life and should only be removed for inspection, draining or replacement. It is removeable using a 1-1/16" thin wall socket.

All Suburban water heaters are protected by a magnesium or aluminum anode to prolong the life of the tank. Under normal use, the anode rod will deteriorate. Because of this, we recommend it be replaced annually or when consumption or weight loss of the rod is greater than 75%. Note: Water with high levels of iron and/or sulfate will increase the rate of deterioration. To extend anode life, drain water from tank whenever the RV is not being used. Avoid any extended time of non-use with water in the tank.

You may need an adapter to go from a 3/8" wrench to a 1/2".
r-pod 2013 177
TV 2002 Sport Trac
The Pod Couple
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 25>