R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

creating an instruction & maintenance manual

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 25>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: creating an instruction & maintenance manual
    Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 8:41pm

Dealing with sway

Original discussion here: http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3141&PN=1&title=crashed-on-the-interstate-while-towing-the-rpod

The biggest contributors to sway, in this order:

1. Not enough tongue weight

2. Distance between rear axle and the hitch ball

3. Speed

4. Short wheelbase vehicle

5. Camper tongue is pointed up, not level or pointed slightly down.

6. Not enough pressure in the TV and trailer tires (they should be at or near their max sidewall rating)

7. Lack of sway control

8. Outside forces like side winds, etc.

When sway starts ...

... never touch the accelerator, this adds energy to the equation right when you need to be removing it.

... never touch the TV's brakes, this magnifies the problem even though you are removing energy.

... never try to steer opposite of the the wobbling feeling, there is a 90% chance you'll increase the wobble, and increase it significantly.

... ALWAYS apply the brake controller aggressively, even if it means temporarily locking up the trailer brakes. You may have to keep applying some trailer brake all the way down the hill. This forces the TV to pull on the hitch which negates the sway.

One exception to the accelerator rule - if you are pulling a trailer without trailer brakes, and you are within 100 feet of the bottom of the hill, and nobody is in front of you, then mash on the accelerator. It has the same effect as applying trailer brakes by forcing the TV to pull the trailer straight. But this is a rare exception to the rule.

Edited to add the new #2 above.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
betsypgarmy@yahoo.co View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote betsypgarmy@yahoo.co Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 12:38pm
Why is it best to have Axle Risers? We have a 2012 RPod and pull it with a 2012 Highlander V6. 

As you can tell, we are Newbies at this travel trailer thing!

Betsy and Jim and the two Scottie's 

Star
CharlieM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CharlieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 12:49pm
The axle risers add about 4 inches to the ground clearance. This is important for dips in driveways, roads, gas station entrances and speed bumps. The rear leveler jacks are particularly vulnerable, as are bikes if you have them on the rear. My dealer said risers are worth their weight in gold; he was right.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
wagnert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wagnert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 3:11pm
The Hood River edition (made in  Oregon) of the 2012 R-Pod came with oversize tires which, in  my case, at least, have added enough ground clearance that I've not had any problems.
We've put on many thousands miles, been in many situations, never a problem.
Tom Wagner
2012 R-Pod 177
2003 Toyota Sienna
Tom Wagner
2012 R-Pod 177
2003 Toyota Sienna
betsypgarmy@yahoo.co View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote betsypgarmy@yahoo.co Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 3:16pm
Thanks for these suggestions

Jim and Betsy
2012 RPod
2012 Highlander 
wagnert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wagnert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 3:30pm
I just went outside to "read" my R-Pod tires.
Markings on tires:
Mudstar Radial M/T

LT 235/75 R15
As I mentioned, my R-Pod came with these tires.
When I was buying, I asked the dealer why the rig had such big tires.
He gave a non-answer, but I came to realize it was for the extra height they provided.
Tom Wagner
2012 R-Pod 177
2003 Toyota Sienna
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Keith-N-Dar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by wagnert

The Hood River edition (made in  Oregon) of the 2012 R-Pod came with oversize tires which, in  my case, at least, have added enough ground clearance that I've not had any problems.
We've put on many thousands miles, been in many situations, never a problem.
Tom Wagner
2012 R-Pod 177
2003 Toyota Sienna

They come with the risers too.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
novapods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote novapods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 11:52am
Thanks for this!
We're currently camping for the first time now, picked up our rpod 178 Friday in Ontario. We'll go back home through the States to Nova Scotia.
Lots to learn, and questions adding up too.
TopJimmy5150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TopJimmy5150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 1:15pm
Nice thread.

I just brought home our 178 on Monday and have lots of questions, coming from a Pop-up with few amenities to this luxury suite on wheels.

1.  On the checklist, it mentions sanitizing the fresh water tank.  Does this have to be done with every trip?  I'm not crazy about handling bleach and keeping it in the pod...bad experience when I was a kid. 

2.  I cannot figure out how to correctly empty the fresh water tank.  The owners manual has a picture of some valve, however I could find nothing like that on my pod.  There appears to be a drain on the bottom of the white tank that is towards the back (bottom) of the pod....is that what I use?

3.  A few years ago we were camping in Saco, ME and our neighbors burned out their electrical system just by plugging into the campground power.  I assume that the directive "Test Shore Power with Volt Meter" is to prevent this....I can purchase one...any recommendations, and what do I look for as far as red flags when I test it? 

Thanks in advance.

Jay

2014 R-Pod RP178
2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewman
2008 Honda Odyssey
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 9:48pm

1. Only at the start of the camping season.

2. To drain the fresh water tank you would use the drain on the bottom, but that is only necessary at the end of the season when you winterize.

3. Yes, any cheap $12 digital voltmeter will be fine.  Make sure it is set to AC mode (look for the ~ sign) in a range that is more than 120 volts.  Usually that setting will be 200.  Just make sure it is between 110 and 128 volts.  Be careful if it is near those limits.  Lately I've just been using my Kill-A-Watt meter, and I leave it plugged in inside the pod during the stay to keep an eye on the voltage.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 25>