R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

creating an instruction & maintenance manual

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: creating an instruction & maintenance manual
    Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 3:35am
Originally posted by Bill-GA

This is a Great guide for a newbie like me.  I just purchased a 2010 176T from a private party and these lists are wonderful to follow.  But I have a some additional questions:

1. I've read where some folks like to sanitize or clean their fresh water system with baking soda by adding a gallon of 'mix' into the clean water system.  How would I do this on the RPOD?

2. I've noticed a musty oder Dead and I believe it's coming from the AC unit.   I've used a special 'musty AC' spray on my older cars and I'm thinking I can to the same by taking off the AC cover on top (3 screws?).  Are there any do's / don't about the AC I should know?

Many thanks for any advise Smile

Bill

'10 Forest River R-pod 176T  
'11 Toyota Tundra w/TOW & HAUL switch (tows great) 

Welcome to the group, Bill!

I have done, as have others, use baking soda after sanitizing with bleach to help reduce the "bleach taste & smell".  I just mix up 3-4 tablespoons of the baking soda in a gallon jug (make sure it all disaovles) and add it to the tank before filling.  I don't think baking soda alone would "sanitize" the system.  It does not eliminate it (taste/smell) entirely, but it helps.

I suspect, in regards to the A/C, there may be some mold and or algae growing somewhere.  If you are familiar with the old fashioned "window" air conditioners - they are pretty similar.  Leaves and various stuff can accumulate in the outer portion.  Removing both inside and outside covers and doing a good cleaning may help.  While you have it apart, it would be a good time to clean the inside black foam filter, too.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Podsible Dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 11:14am
Our pod had a 'musty odor' after we got home (bought used from near the ocean). We ended up washing all the interior walls down with a dilute bleach solution and letting the mattress and cushions sit out in the sun for a couple of days. It smelled 'new' again after that treatment. We also keep the fan running on low speed in the shower when stored (and plugged in) to keep it fresh inside.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill-GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 11:39am
David,  thanks for your comments. They are very helpful but I guess I still have one more question:  WHERE & HOW do I get the gallon solution into  the tank?  All I see is  the "City Water" hose connection.  I tried using a small garden hose and a funnel ... didn't work... wouldn't go in.  Is there another access cap / method?

Thanks again.

Bill

'10 Forest River R-pod 176T  
'11 Toyota Tundra w/TOW & HAUL switch (tows great)
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 12:42pm
Bill-GA: Bottom is city water, top is watertank.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Bill-GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill-GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Podsible Dream

Our pod had a 'musty odor' after we got home (bought used from near the ocean). We ended up washing all the interior walls down with a dilute bleach solution and letting the mattress and cushions sit out in the sun for a couple of days. It smelled 'new' again after that treatment. We also keep the fan running on low speed in the shower when stored (and plugged in) to keep it fresh inside.

Chris and Walt,  thanks for the tip. 

Bill
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill-GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by marwayne

Boy ... do I feel dumb!  If it was any more obvious I would have tripped over it!   THANKS.

Bill ( the Newbie )
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 6:48pm
But only if it was laying on the ground.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Bill-GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill-GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by beargoodtime

Dont forget about the "T" models. I have just purchased a new one that was a 2010 model. The dealer showed me how to deploy the tent area but when I got it home I noticed the tent was ripped a little on the lower left hand side. The velcro was not holding as well. I think you are suppose to loosen it from the velcro before folding it up to prevent undo strain on the fabric of the tent, but I cannot find anything that make that statement true. Maybe someone that has a "T" model can help on this. I am planing to call Forest River Monday and the dealer to see what they say....
This response may not be current, but I think it's worth noting that on my 176T I also had problems with the Velcro strip not sticking to the edge of the hard bed lowered on the back.  My solution was to use some large flat head #8 1 inch screws every 4-5 inches on the Velco strip by first pre-drilling then tenderly inserting the screws (Original Mfg only use 8-10 SMALL head screws which have mostly pulled thru the Velcro).  Also, I've decided to REMOVE tent from Velcro BEFORE closing the rear tent bed - seem to be easier with NO frabric strain.  These solutions seems to work but I haven't tested it on a 'real' camping trip yet. Come on spring!

Also for tenters ... My wife and I plan to do local trips and use the tent, but on cross-country trips with quick-stop one-nighters, we plan NOT to use the tent (might be warmer on cold nights too).  So ..... I'm trying to devise a method of holding the tent away from the Queen (?) bedding when the back is closed using two NEW poles I'm making, one of the existing cross-over poles and existing pole brackets (the ones with the hole inside the cabin).  I'll let you know how I make out if interested.

Did you get any good instructions about tents from the dealer or FR?

Bill

'10 Forest River R-Pod 176T  
'11 Toyota Tundra 
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill-GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Bill-GA

Originally posted by marwayne

Boy ... do I feel dumb!  If it was any more obvious I would have tripped over it!   THANKS.

Bill ( the Newbie )
BTW, I don't feel as dumb as I initially thought ... seems my watertank fill on the 176T was on the front-side (about 5 feet forward of the CITY WATER connection) and only had a 'small print' label  which I couldn't read w/o my glasses.  Small print had text suggesting flushing and santizing water tank before use. No BIG print on labels.

Bill (a little less of a Newbie)
wagnert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wagnert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 6:52pm
The ARRIVAL and DEPARTURE check lists mention a surge protector and a lock for it.
We are leaving in 10 days taking our 177 R-Pod From Seattle to Arizona.
We will be R-Poding along the way and setting up for two weeks in AZ.
MY QUESTION: Do I need a surge protector?
If so, suggestions for where to get one and the needed specs.
I assume the lock is to prevent theft.
Thanks for your help.

Tom Wagner
2012 R-Pod 177
2003 Toyota Sienna
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>