R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

creating an instruction & maintenance manual

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: creating an instruction & maintenance manual
    Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 2:42pm
Hello Cindy,

We have a 2016 RP179 so it will be very similar.

The furnace uses propane for generating heat. It uses 12V to power the fan and to run the circuitry to include the thermostat to make it run.

The water pump runs on 12V. As for shore power, if the converter is working properly, it will supply 12V power while plugged in. The Air Conditioner and the electric side of the water heater require shore power. The refrigerator can run on shore power, battery (not recommended unless you are actively towing and your vehicle can provide sufficient power to both run the refrigerator and charge the battery). or propane. Before I upgraded the charging for ours, I always towed while using propane for the refrigerator. I tried battery once early on but did not realize just how much energy the 12V side of the refrigerator uses so I ended up with nearly discharged batteries in the wee hours. From that time on I used propane unless I had shore power. Now, I can tow with 12V, but as soon as we stop, it gets switched to either shore power or propane if shore power isn't available. Also, the refrigerator uses 12V for the controls, but when using propane, that energy use is minimal. It is when you are trying to use 12V to cool that the energy use is really high. That is why you should use shore power or propane unless actively driving.

I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories with your "new to you" RPod.

One final observation: Limit your towing speed. California has a 55 mph towing speed limit. Even outside California, limit it to 60 mph or less and you will arrive much more relaxed and not spend as much on gasoline to get you there. Air resistance increases greatly as you speed up. Fuel consumption is much more the faster you go.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Gualalapod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gualalapod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 3:10pm
Thank you Stephen! Great information. I can’t wait to get in the road soon. We are also looking at solar systems to plug in!

Cindy C.
Gualalapod owner
Mom Dunn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mom Dunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 12:50pm
 we used air pressure to winterize, the steps here for dewinerizing the same?   
1nana2many View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1nana2many Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 6:26pm
@Mom Dunn- yes, you still need to sanitize the lines before each season to make sure there are no bad organisms growing in your water system. Just good health practice.
The mountains are calling and we must go...O.D., Keith & Jody
2016 RP179= O.D. (Olive Drab)
2008 Coachman Captiva
1993 Jayco 1206 popup
2016 F150 Supercrew
wb0ldj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wb0ldj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:33pm
Hi!

My wife and I bought a 2019 Forest River RPOD 190 a few months ago, and I was really disappointed that there wasn't more documentation that came with it. I guess I was spoiled - all my previous RVs (2-Class C and 1 Class A) were Winnebago/Itasca and the "owner's manuals" were in 3-ring binders, nearly 2 inches thick.

One of the first things I did was start a collection of everything I could find online that applied to the RPOD - appliances, wiring, plumbing, etc. and created PDF files for everything. I printed it all and took the pages to FedEx and got everything comb-bound.

I haven't gone completely through your list yet, but I will and send you anything that appears to be relevant.

So far, I've done a LOT of mods on the little 'Pod. Replaced the converter with a Progressive Dynamics PD4135, added 30A solar charge controller, replaced 8 AWG wire and frame ground between battery bank (now 2 X GC2 6V) and converter with runs of 4 AWG welding cable, rebuilt flimsy frame under bed, added panel under bed for access to winterizing connections, ran reverse wiring from vehicle pigtail to backup lights, and installed Rear Vision Safety bluetooth remote backup camera.

Thanks for your efforts, I'll try to contribute anything else I come across.

Mike Harmon, WB0LDJ
Overland, MO
mharmon at att dot net
Mike
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 10:47am
I prefer not to have a lot of clutter in my Pod and paper manuals are just another source. So, I prefer electronic manuals I can refer to on my phone or iPad.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 11:36am
Originally posted by TheBum

I prefer not to have a lot of clutter in my Pod and paper manuals are just another source. So, I prefer electronic manuals I can refer to on my phone or iPad.

Amen,  i like simple and no clutter/
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
cjanderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote cjanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 1:59pm
Can you tell my why the tv doesn't auto load channels by antenna? we do not have satellite. Our neighbors get channels by air.  Our pod is not receiving. Is there a switch to get off cable? We are just learning, this is the first trip in our pod  Thanks Carolyn
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by cjanderson

Can you tell my why the tv doesn't auto load channels by antenna? we do not have satellite. Our neighbors get channels by air.  Our pod is not receiving. Is there a switch to get off cable? We are just learning, this is the first trip in our pod  Thanks Carolyn

Make sure that the antenna booster switch is on. It's a pushbutton on the antenna cable jack's wall plate behind the TV. An LED will glow if it is turned on. You then have to use the TV remote to run a channel scan on the TV to find which channels are available in the area.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
ricardos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ricardos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 5:58am

Grids are another tedious part of web design. If you build your own grid, you'll get very familiar with your calculator as you figure out the best proportions for columns and gutters on your site. In fact, a lot of novice web designers don't build their own grids at all. But if you don't use a grid in some fashion, your designs will suffer for it https://mlsdev.com/blog/it-outsourcing-companies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>