R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedattaching things to walls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TravelingTeacher View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: attaching things to walls
    Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 12:40am
Star  ToddsPod, that's amazing!  How did you do that computer simulation?  Is it some kind of software drafting program?  Wow, you PLAN everything you do before you do it.  Awesome!  There's no end to the kind of mods you can come up with, I bet.
Traveling Teacher w. R-Pod 177

"To teach is to learn twice." - Joseph Joubert

"Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right." - Henry Ford
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Outbound

Originally posted by TravelingTeacher

So, it's really not safe to add a narrow shelf in the bedroom area then?   Or anywhere else for that matter?

No, I didn't say that.  I just cautioned a 2-3 pound limit.  I installed a 3 1/2" deep shelf over the curbside window in our 2009 RP171.  Very useful for keys, wallets, cell phones and the dog leash.

I've also just installed a larger, custom shelf across the foot of our RPOD's bed.  Its attached with 9 molly bolts to the rear of the bathroom wall, the interior curbside wall and to the curve of the ceiling.  Its quite sturdy and is intended for storing clothes.  I've gained a lot of strength and carrying capacity by anchoring it to three different walls.

However, I'd advise against installing a wire linen shelf where all the weight would be borne by a single wall panel.

You could put in a wire shelf if you did what TravelingTeacher's done, that is anchor to three walls for support. I've thought to do this myself, as this space is hardly usable in our 172.

Just assume the walls are made of heavy cardboard and you'll be safe.Tongue

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 7:20pm
One other thing -- Has anyone tried to use Hercules hooks -- you know, the ones that barely put a pinhole in the wall, and then curve and grab the inside of the wall?  Just wondering.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 7:17pm
Thanks for explaining.  Your family is lucky that you are so handy with the mods for the pod.

Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 6:45pm

So, it's really not safe to add a narrow shelf in the bedroom area then?   Or anywhere else for that matter?

No, I didn't say that.  I just cautioned a 2-3 pound limit.  I installed a 3 1/2" deep shelf over the curbside window in our 2009 RP171.  Very useful for keys, wallets, cell phones and the dog leash.

I've also just installed a larger, custom shelf across the foot of our RPOD's bed.  Its attached with 9 molly bolts to the rear of the bathroom wall, the interior curbside wall and to the curve of the ceiling.  Its quite sturdy and is intended for storing clothes.  I've gained a lot of strength and carrying capacity by anchoring it to three different walls.

However, I'd advise against installing a wire linen shelf where all the weight would be borne by a single wall panel.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 6:20pm

Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 6:06pm
I should add that, although reasonably strong for a finished interior wallboard, the RPOD's interior walls are not magical.  I strongly suggest that no one hang anything more that 2-3 pounds on the walls, that the weight be held fairly close to the wall and not cantilevered out (e.g. don't try to attach a TV mount to the wall using molly bolts) and that the object won't sway back and forth during travel (e.g. a fryingpan hooked on the wall).

For the most part, try to use something like 3M Command Hooks or Scotch Interior/Exterior Mounting Tape (I use both in my own RPOD and highly recommend them).  The Scotch tape in particular has proven to be very strong, long lasting, flexible in use and clean to remove.
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 5:50pm

About the molly bolts -- how can you be sure you are not going to hit something inside the wall that you shouldn't, like wiring?

Well, hitting a wire is always a danger.  However, there is very little wiring within the upper walls where you're likely to be trying to hang something.

The interior wallboards themselves are about 1/8"-3/16" thick.  The straight walls are insulated with styrofoam.  The curve/ceiling is insulated with glass insulation.

When drilling, I suggest that you only drill deep enough to break through the interior wallboard.    The wiring within the walls is not taut and will likely push out of the way if you're going slowly.  Inspect the area for underlying wires; if you find any, push them out of the way.  Then, carefully continue on.
< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">
cgarb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 5:40pm
I'll be happy to hear about what all you do to maximize storage and convenience. We keep saying that we can always carry things in the van, but I'd love to keep most of what we need inside the pod. Since we, especially my husband, also backpack, it really shouldn't be that hard. Except I keep thinking "we might be able to use this!" I have found the forum posts really helpful, too, and everyone is so very friendly. I think that is one reason going with the r-pod! Thanks everyone!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 5:32pm

About the molly bolts -- how can you be sure you are not going to hit something inside the wall that you shouldn't, like wiring?  I appreciate the post because I had the same question about attaching things to the wall.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>