R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDe-winterizing checklist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: De-winterizing checklist
    Posted: 19 May 2011 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by mountain mist

Well THAT good intention to wait until winterizing to use the boards. The hubby wanted to get into the hot water heater and wanted me around to hold the mattress. He WAS really suprised and thanks you all for the help.

Mountain Mist, I got off lightly this year!  The dealer had already de-winterized for me.  So I can look forward to being in your shoes -- in reverse that is -- this coming fall. 

It was a beautiful day down here in Georgia today, too.  I couldn't get a camping spot for Fri. & Sat. of Memorial Day weekend, but I got one for Monday through Wednesday.  I'm going to Fort Mountain State Park -- love those Georgia mountains!  HOWEVER, if I get a chance before then, I would like to make a trial run, either to Salacoa Creek -- or even the local KOA if I have to!  LOL  I am so-o-o-o ready to camp.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 7:30am
I will have to look up those State parks, like to camp in those. I always like to camp at Elkmont, but it is dry camping and trying to decide if I want to do that first time this year. I am thinking on Panther Creek State Park, have not been there in many years. Also had not remembered that Memorial Day is coming up, no room in the inn, Anyplace. I, too, am ready to camp, but have been flushing the Pod and checking it out and have not rushed anything. LEt me tell you, the idea of the boards is super. I did it all myself, easy on the 171, another story on those that don't have the 2 walls.
I note your little "saying" about traveling the world, only to find it when returning home. My husband use to say that when he came home from flying the world and when coming through the Spur into Gatlinburg, he just felt IT was here.Have been here for 40 years and it was not the zoo as much then, but we live in a quiet zone and know when not to go out. LIKE MEMORIAL DAY. We all find a place.
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 9:09am
Mountain Mist,

You are not that far away from north Georgia, and I do have to brag on our state parks.  They have wonderful facilities.  If you're interested, click on www.georgiastateparks.org and check into the ones that are close to you.

But you also have a few commercial campgrounds close to you that are nice, especially in Townsend, the back entrance to the Smokies.  I can think of Tremont Hills for one, but can't think of the names of the others.

Diane
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 11:59am

Misty River is a good one in Townsend, but the shade trees have to aquire some growth. The bathhouse is Really great.

I have camped at Tremont and a few others.
Townsend, for me, is too close, but nice. Have seen just about all I want to see there, but pretty good to go and laze.

Will check into the Ga. State Parks. We travel down that way on the way to Roswell, Ga. to son.
 Thanks
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 2:14pm
My daughter loves Vogel State Park.  There's a huge lake there with paddle boats, and the campsites are very nice and flat even though you are on a mountain.
2011 Mercedes ML350

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 11:13am
Those of you who have been following along know that the integrity and sanity of 2 of the utmost scientific minds on the forum has been called into question!  (However, I think the truely smart people chose to stay out of this one LOL)

None the less...question has been raised.  Therefore, answer MUST be given.  I offer you, our esteemed readers/members the following scientific PROOF that you can raise an RV matress with only air!

First shot....my matress (that I still need to replace) in it's normal quiescent state:

Next - a trip to Walmart.  They had no lawn tractor inner tubes.  Being ever resourceful, I checked the toy department for balls that could be inflated/deflated.  They had several sizes, so I chose a medium-large one.

One need only deflate the ball, until flat and then slide it under the matress - with the inflation point pointed towards you.  Inflate the ball and you have this result:

Cost = $2.50 + tax.

A source of air and one of these is also needed:

As you can clearly see, science has once again triumphed!  Honor is restored!

But, even more important, Dixie has a new toy!  LOL LOL

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 12:23pm
Okay, NOW I see what you were talking about, and I am the first to admit it, you're the man, David, you're the man!

However, you see that little door under your mattress on the SIDE of your bed, in my 177 it's at the END of the bed at the side of the camper.  So I have to hold up the whole end of a mattress that is almost impossible for me to reach because the door to the valves is at the end of the bed on the side of the camper, and I have the curved end of the r-pod on one perpendicular side and the kitchen/galley on the other perpendicular side.  So as you can see I can't access the cut-off valves from the SIDE of the bed.  Dang it, dang it, dang it!  . . . . Still think I'm just being "puny?"

Okay, so what if I got TWO inflatable balls for the end!  Ying Yang And what's that metal plate on top of the ball?

WHOOAAA!  Wait a minute . . . I STILL have to LITERALLY get UNDER the mattress to open that door -- see that's the problem.  That's why the lever idea was the best idea for Mountain Mist and me.  But I can see the inflatable ball is the best idea for YOU -- just because of the placement of the access door for the cut-off valve on YOUR pod.  Mine isn't where yours is.

(Gosh, I sure hope SOMEONE is learning something from all this insanity!)

Diane
2011 Mercedes ML350

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 1:04pm
In your situation, given the location you need to get to, Podsible's solution is very good - assuming you can lift the weight of at least a portion of the matress.  They are really not that heavy or well constructed, regardless of who manufactures the RV.  I tried to come up with a solution that required virtually no physical strenght.  Not being very familiar with your model of Pod......I'm just taking guesses.  The "air concept" is sound, but I can't know for certain if it will work "in the real world", in each of your situations.

That "metal thing" is actually my sink cover, which resides in my "under the bed" storage compartment.  I never use it or the storage compartment.  It is a plastic type material.  The "contact area" of the ball is rather small (compared to an inner tube) so, I found it help to increase the contact area with the matress.

Just for the halibut, I tried just propping up the matress with the sink cover:

Most anything will work....it all depends on how much strenght you have and, depending on where you need to get, the placement of the support.

I know you'll conquer the situation.  Dixie sure enjoys the "science experiment"! LOL

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 1:10pm
LOL LOL

Diane
2011 Mercedes ML350

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 1:17pm
Dixie is beautiful
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>