R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDe-winterizing checklist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: De-winterizing checklist
    Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 10:22am
My 182G has been sitting forlornly in my driveway for what seems like an eternity.  Okay - so maybe I've been sitting in my house gazing forlornly at the Pod Embarrassed  I'm ready to hit the road and camp, but I'm a checklist kind of person - reduces those OCD moments of checking the locks three times before leaving.  I'm looking for a de-winterizing checklist to prepare for my maiden voyage.  I'm also interested in beginning/end of trip checklists.

I'm a novice when it comes to travel trailers.  I've always tent/car camped and there's a lot to this whole travel trailer gig.  I want to get it right - don't like learning things the hard/expensive way Ouch
Kathy
Southwest Ohio
3 Aussie-dogs (or more when fostering)
11 R-Pod 182G
04 Chevy Colorado
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 3:02pm
- Make sure the tire pressure is at the max pressure shown on the sidewall of the tire.
- Grease your wheel bearings if necessary.  Official word is do this every year, with the few miles put on every year I usually go 2-3.
- Refill propane tank if necessary.
- Reinstall battery if you kept it elsewhere over the winter (storage outside on the tongue is fine and can actually extend the life of the battery as long as you charge it twice over the winter).
- Hook up your hose (white hose not necessary for this, but make sure you use a white hose in camp).
- Make sure the valve near the water pump, used to suck up antifreeze, is set properly.
- Pressurize the water system, then open each valve on the sink, shower and toilet one at a time until they run clear.
- Switch all 3 bypass valves opposite of how you kept them over the winter (during the summer the ones on the hot and cold lines should be parallel to the water line, and the one in the middle should be perpendicular).
- Add chemicals as necessary to the black tank, filling with several gallons of water.
- Check/replace the batteries in the smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector.
- Hook up the Bargman connector to your car and check all exterior lights.

If anyone thinks of additions I'll add them.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
waterlover63 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 3:55pm
Awesome - this is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks!
Kathy
Southwest Ohio
3 Aussie-dogs (or more when fostering)
11 R-Pod 182G
04 Chevy Colorado
drdrew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 8:01pm
My understanding was to flush the antifreeze first THEN switch the water heater valves...is that incorrect??
172T
photog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by drdrew

My understanding was to flush the antifreeze first THEN switch the water heater valves...is that incorrect??

That's the way I have always done it. Smile
Heinrich and Elly
2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
2010 Prime Time Tracer 205M
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by photog

Originally posted by drdrew

That's the way I have always done it. Smile
Me too.  Smile
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 1:44pm
Good catch, I've switched things around.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 6:34am
I took the day off of work yesterday and started looking things over on the camper.  As usual, I noticed some cracks in the caulking/sealers and repaired those.  It seems that the temperature extremes of winter can sometimes cause cracks.  I check around windows, clearance lights, roof, etc. - everything.
Even small leaks can cause big problems, if not addressed.

I also like to check the torque of the wheels several times throughout the season.  Aluminum and alloy wheels tend to expand and contract more than steel wheels.  This can cause the lug nuts to loosen over time.

It's also a good time to lube things, such as the tongue jack, stair steps, door hinges, etc.  A small can of Rustolium semi-gloss black comes in handy for touching up chips on the tongue, frame and steps.

While you're up top, it's good to clean the coil on the A/C unit.  Unless it is really bad, compressed air or just a garden hose should do the trick.  Don't forget your filter inside, also.
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:28am
Hello Podders. Although the weather is still looming, wet and cold, I have been casting an eye at Escape Pod. Like being to early when looking for plants for the garden, I am practicing restraint on getting out too early to camp. Only time to have your pick of any site at Elkmont in the Smokies.

I had been wondering just how to de-winterize, this being my first time.
First, have I heard correctly that the anti-freeze is ok to put in a dump station?
Now, when you have flushed the lines, which holding tank does this go into?
Asking since adding the chemicals to the black tank will have you just dumping them when you go to the dump station.

Now I have to learn all over again how to follow my checklist for getting the thing out of the driveway and on the road. Star Would have liked a whole year, instead of 4 1/2 months of practice, which was not very many trips off as a newbie with no experience pulling anything, much less the proper care and prochedures to learn. And not running over someoneLOL As in many places this year, the creeks are still rising , so probably will wait until May to get serious. Will be gone to Texas for most of April anyway.
I have been reading this site however. Always very good questons and information.

Happy Podding
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by mountain mist

I had been wondering just how to de-winterize, this being my first time.
First, have I heard correctly that the anti-freeze is ok to put in a dump station?

Yes, it's OK.

Now, when you have flushed the lines, which holding tank does this go into?

The toilet will go into the black tank, all else will go into the grey water tank.

Asking since adding the chemicals to the black tank will have you just dumping them when you go to the dump station.

Personally, I think you would probably be OK without them - if only camping a day or two.  But, the chemical would help control odor and break down the waste.  I'd splurge and add chemical.

By the way, welcome back! Smile 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>