R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

LT vs ST tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT vs ST tires
    Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by James07

So, I learned that I've been running 6 ply (load range C) Toyo Open Country AT light truck tires on my pod.  Have been trouble free, including a round trip to Alaska over the pot holes on the Alcan.

However, with the info you all have posted, will be going with Carlisle Radial Trial or Goodyear Endurance both load range E special trailer tires.  Carlisle $135 and Goodyear $199 at Discount Tires.  Big difference in price.

My new camper came with the Carlisle Radial Trails. Due to some axle issues, I had to replace all four tires after just 10K miles. I was going to go with the Carlisles again but decided on the Goodyears at the last minute. I went with Load range E as well. I also got them at Discount. I had them balanced and told them to torque the lug nuts to 95ft-lbs. When I got home I inspected the lug nuts and about half were under torqued.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 9:55pm
It could also be that with the alloy rims, they may have been torqued, but loosened. That is why it is good to check torque after 50 miles. I don't remember off the to of my head, but it is also good to check them once a day at least until they stay torqued.

Also, even load range D tires are not immune to blowouts. We had that happen to us. I had noticed wear on one of the Carlisle LR-D tires and had planned to replace it when we got to our daughter's house on a previous trip. The tire did not make it that far.. I hope to never have that happen again. Our current trailer is a tandem axle model so the load per tire is less.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2024 at 9:54am
Originally posted by StephenH

It could also be that with the alloy rims, they may have been torqued, but loosened. That is why it is good to check torque after 50 miles. I don't remember off the to of my head, but it is also good to check them once a day at least until they stay torqued.

Our Escape has steel wheels and Discount is only 3 miles from our house so I think the tech just didn't do their job. You are right about checking lugs. Escape recommends anytime you change a tire/wheel, you retorque every 60 miles for 300 miles. I was seeing give in our lug nuts up to 1000miles when we first picked up our trailer. After that, the lugs were stable but I still check them periodically, at least before every trip. 
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2024 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by James07

However, with the info you all have posted, will be going with Carlisle Radial Trial or Goodyear Endurance both load range E special trailer tires.  Carlisle $135 and Goodyear $199 at Discount Tires.  Big difference in price.

Both the above are good tires although we had friends that had a goodyear endurance blow out (and took the fender as well) that was only a year old.  Regardless, the Carlisle has a warranty that is 2x longer than goodyear, something to consider upon your purchase.

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12