R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

LT vs ST tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
James07 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote James07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT vs ST tires
    Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 12:06pm
Really good information.  Thanks.  I noticed that at our Northern California pod feast, most of the campers had ST tires.  Mostly Goodyear Endurance.  Some of the newer R-pods still have the LT tires.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 9:39am
I agree with everything LA says here. I will add that LT tires "might" be cheaper than ST because they're made in higher quantities.

Given a choice, I would choose ST tires.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 6:34am
My speculation is that they used LT tires with aggressive mud/snow tread for marketing reasons; to make the trailer look like you could take it anywhere.  The problem with LT tires is that they have more flexible side walls than ST tires, allowing more trailer sway.  The reason for more flexible side walls it to provide a more comfortable ride in a passenger vehicle and more cornering stability.  That flexion is not helpful with a trailer.  There really isn't any off road advantage to the LT tires.  Since the trailer isn't pushing the TV in slippery mud or dirt, any additional traction provided by LT tires with aggressive mud/snow tread is not really advantageous.  If you are going so fast that the trailer is sliding in the curves, then the better choice may be to slow down some and allow the trailer to track easily behind the TV.  I suppose in some snow the tires might perform a little better with braking, but once it gets icy, that advantage is minimal compared to the traction gain with chains.

ST tires have really stiff sidewalls that give more ride stability, especially in the wind.  ST tires roll more smoothly with less tread squirm resistance and the tread deflects water well avoiding hydroplaning and giving a much more stable tracking behind the TV.  Additionally, the smooth low resistance rolling will give better gas mileage, since the TV doesn't have to work as hard to overcome the rolling resistance of the more squishy and tread squirming LT tire.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
James07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote James07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2024 at 11:18pm
My 2015 R-178 Hood River came with LT tires from factory.  Anyone know why the factory used LT tires instead of ST tires ??  This will be my second set of replacement and thinking about going to ST tires.  Any advantage or disadvantage going to ST tires ??  Mostly highway use.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12