This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Towing with Tacoma - Event Date: 24 Feb 2024 - 01 Jun 2024

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote RoyToy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Towing with Tacoma
    Posted: 24 Feb 2024 at 7:23pm
We currently have a 2015 RPOD 179 (dry weight of about 2500 and use a weight distribution hitch) and have been towing with a 2011 Honda Pilot. We want to replace the Pilot and purchase mid-size truck. We are considering a Toyota Tacoma and would like to hear from others that are towing with a Tacoma how well it tows. Apparently the 2024 Tacoma (new model year) only comes in 4 cylinder with different turbo options and has a rated towing capacity of 6400 pounds. This is plenty even if we upgrade our 179.
Typically we tow short distances (300-500 miles) and with tanks mostly empty.  While I tend to drive about 60-65 mph when towing I am not in a rush and don't feel the need to keep up with faster traffic, but don't want to feel dogged down either.
From Michigan
Sincerely,

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2024 at 11:12pm
I did not have a Tacoma. We  towed our (former) 179 with a Nissan Frontier. It had a 4L V6, naturally aspirated. The 4 cylinder turbocharged Tacoma will likely outperform the Nissan's V6, especially if you go to anywhere with significant altitude. What you don't say is whether the Tacoma is 4wd or 2wd. There were a few times I used the 4wd of the Frontier. One of those was when a park exit was dirt and uphill. 4wd made it easier to get moving up that hill.

We also towed with a 2016 Ford Escape with a 2L Ecoboost engine. It did struggle a little when there were strong headwinds. Generally though, if we limited the speed to 60 mph, we were able to get okay mileage. Faster though and it was single digit territory. Remember also that you will likely find that Toyota recommends premium for that turbo engine when towing.It costs more, but that is part of the price you pay for towing.

Our current vehicle is a Ford F-150 4x4 with a 3.5L Ecoboost engine. Yes, I use premium and I am glad we have the 36 gallon gas tank, even though it costs a small fortune to fill it. We travel much greater distances than you do so the larger tank means fewer stops for gas.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2024 at 9:03am
I also towed (and still do) with a Frontier. I'm on the east coast and don't do alot of mountainous driving.  I towed a smaller pod, then moved up to an RP 195. Towed that for a couple years, and now have a surveyor 19rble. It weighs in at just about 4800 loaded up. I have little to no problem anywhere. The only issue I ever have is if I'm climbing a long grade, and I have to slow down to about 30, and then try to get back up to 65 mph, I will get some r.p.m.'s of 4000 to 4500. Still well in the safe zone, but sounds a little loud. I would expect your new Tacoma will probably do a little better than my Frontier. BTW I would buy another Frontier.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2024 at 12:55pm
We normally tow with our 3.5L EcoBoost F150, which has zero problems towing the RP179, and even things quite a bit bigger. 

We have towed the RP179 with our 4.5L V6 Tacoma. It tows just fine until you start getting into any altitude. It's also not as peppy as the F150, but it does just fine.

As the others are presuming, I guess the 4-cyl Tacoma will be boosted. If not, we had a 2008 4-cyl Tacoma, and it could not get out of its own way.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
RoyToy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoyToy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2024 at 3:24pm
Thanks for the feedback. BTW the Tacoma would be 4 WD.
Good to know the Frontier did fine as well.
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2024 at 7:48am
  I myself would prefer a 6 cylinder Tacoma and would shop around for a good used one. And another thing to think about besides towing capacity is tongue weight capacity. We have a Ram 1500 5.7 liter and there have been times when we were fully loaded with a lot of weight in the truck bed I was concerned about the 480 pound tongue weight of our camper. 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 7:28am
RoyToy, the question you may want to consider is whether the TV you are considering will meet your needs if you ever buy a larger/heavier travel trailer.  Sounds like the Taco will have ample capacity for the R-Pod you have now.  But, it may limit your choices of a replacement trailer if you ever decide to switch to a larger trailer.  Considering the cost of pickup trucks these days, it might be a good idea to do a little comparison shopping to see if you can find something with a little higher capacity in the same price range.  Good luck in your search for a TV.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 2:27pm
I would say that the Tacoma will give at least 2000 pounds of possible upgading of your camper. As I said, I pulled a Rpod 195 (3600 pounds empty) around for 2 years and I went to Washington D.C., Niagra falls, Bar Harbor Maine, and several white mountain stops. You'll be just fine even with a 2000 pound larger camper. But it never hurts to have a bigger truck. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2024 at 9:47pm
Like others, I towed with a Nissan Frontier. It pulled our Rpod 179 for 50K miles just fine but did struggle on hills and in wind. We later upgraded to a full size pickup, F150 3.5 Ecoboost to be exact. Personally, I would never go back to towing anything like an Rpod with a midsize truck. Then improved comfort and space for the same MPG is hard to beat. I would pull a very small tear drop with a mid-size, no problem but a larger trailer? I wouldn't do it again. Probably not what you wanted to hear but that's my opinion. I'd look at a Tundra if you have to have a Toyota.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
 Post Reply Post Reply