R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

lightweight mattress info / recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote campingtrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lightweight mattress info / recommendations
    Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 6:22pm
Hi folks - have a 2017 Rpod 171.  The mattress that came with it is basically dead.  Want to replace it, but don't want to add extra weight.  The current one is about 30 lbs.  Most of the replacements I've looked at involve some amount of memory foam and come in more around 100lbs.  Too much.  

I'm also not exactly sure what size it really is.  This thread below seems to suggest it's a "Short Queen" - which is listed on many mattress websites as 60x75 - but another poster on that thread suggests it's actually 60x74.  I measured it and it seems like it's maybe even a bit smaller than that, but it's pretty hard to tell since it's so saggy now.  

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9742&OB=ASC#:~:text=I%20believe%20the%20dimensions%20are,no%20trouble%20sleeping%20on%20ours.&text=%2B1%20%2C%20I%20am%20just%20over,comfortable%20sleeping%20in%20the%20bed.

There were lots of recommendations on that thread for good mattresses, but none of them were clear about how much they weigh.

Does anyone know for sure what size these really are, and does anyone have any recommendations on a replacement that's around 30 lbs (noting, it's been very difficult to get weight information without picking up the phone and calling places - for some reason no one lists that on their websites)?

Help greatly appreciated.  
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2024 at 10:54am
The size is commonly known as an "RV Queen" or "Short Queen". The best way to determine your exact size is to just measure the dimensions of the platform in your Rpod.

We ended up getting a Zinus Short Queen in the 8" depth. It was reasonably priced, and has been a great mattress for us. The dimensions of ours is listed as "74"L x 60"W x 8"Th". The weight is listed as 40 lbs.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply