R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

cell booster install spacing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cell booster install spacing
    Posted: 24 Jan 2024 at 4:56pm
Hey everyone...My preinstalled King XT2000 wasn't installed right  (the outside antennae and the inside amplifier were as close as they could possibly be). My booster is made by King but as I understand it it is the same as WeBoost with a King label. The dealer is re-installing it under warranty but I don't  trust they know what they are doing.

There are three parts: an outside antenna, an inside amplifier, and an inside antenna. The outside antenna likely needs to stay where it is becuase I don't want extra holes in the camper. It is driver's side front. There are bunks across the front and the lower bunk is above a garage area. The drivers side wall has cabinets running the length of the camper (15' max though cabinets only run about 10 feet). The bathroom is in the rear.

I need to know which components need to be kept far away from the other(s). Is it all 3, only 2?, which 2? How far is far enough.

The cable from the o/s antenna could run to the amplifier from the front of the camper to the the back, inside cabinets, but then it would be really unclear as to where the inside antennae could go without a loose cable for the inside antennae just running through the camper. And that plan would put the inside antennae back at the front near the o/s antenna-- though it could be on the passenger side of the camper.

Or, I could run the cable from the o/s antennae to the amplifier across the front of the camper under a mattress and then run the cable to the inside antennae but components would only be about 6 feet apart. 

Do any of you have experience with this? I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Julie
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 9:43am
It's the antennas that need to be as far from each other as possible. However, I doubt there's enough space to make a booster like that work in a 20' trailer with a fiberglass skin. Good luck with your project, but I have watched $10,000 booster installations crash and burn without providing any help at all.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 10:17am

Thanks GG. I hear you. As far as I can tell these things are of marginal benefit. I wouldn't have dropped $500 on it but it came with the camper and I'm getting warrranty-paid help to get it working so it's worth a try. I'll post an update when ii know anything. 
Julie
Lear111 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lear111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 7:22pm
My Weboost works perfectly. Really has helped get a good internet to stream shows. If you get a a green light on amplifier the antennas are are far enough apart. It is true internal and external antennas need to be far apart. I have a telescoping pole with an Rv antenna extra long coax run through a window.   Boosters have worked for me.
Steve
Lexus GX460
R-pod 180 2017
1 black lab
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 8:27pm
Thanks Steve, I hope my experience is yours. I may check back with trouble shooting questions if you don't mind.  :)
Julie
_WW_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote _WW_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2024 at 1:13pm
2016 179 model is what I have mounted the we-boost on. The telescoping pole is mounted to the front aluminum trim around the slide out. The wire goes through the rubber on the slide out to the amplifier which is mounted on the side of the bed. (I have removed one of the stools for more over all room) The power comes from the water pump area under the bed. I ran a new 12v line to that area. While I was in there I also installed a 12v power port and usb plugs.

The inside antenna is on the counter at the right rear corner, the door side. This setup seems to have them far enough apart to work as they should.

They don't work in every situation but if you are just a few miles out of range they work fine.

StarLink is the way to go and mine is coming soon!
2014 RAM 1500
2016 R Pod 179
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2024 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by _WW_

They don't work in every situation but if you are just a few miles out of range they work fine.

StarLink is the way to go and mine is coming soon!

We toyed with getting a WeeBoost but went for StarLink instead. Works great but does suck power. 
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
 Post Reply Post Reply