This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Towing Rpod 178

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote wunderlong88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing Rpod 178
    Posted: 20 Jan 2024 at 3:17pm
Hello.  I am new to the forum and am looking for ideas of a small to midsize suv that might be able to tow my 2016 Rpod 178.  It's dry weight is 2600 lbs.

I wondered if the Ford Escape or Toyota Rav4 (2023 or later on either with 3500 lb tow rating) would be sufficient to pull this camper.  We are in Texas and have a 20+ year old Chevy 1/2 ton we pull it with right now.  We generally go to State Parks in Texas and mostly flat to small hilly trips.  Nothing crazy.  Could use the truck if we did otherwise.

If not one of these vehicles any suggestions.  Need 30+ mpg (when not pulling) and $35,000 budget roughly.

Thanks!
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2024 at 4:05pm
There are tons of threads in this forum about the needed towing capacity for your trailer.  Don't be fooled by the "dry weight."  To get a real idea of what you will be towing, add the dry weight to the load capacity the trailer can carry; the gross vehicle weight rating.  Your trailer comes in at about 3,800 lbs.  Towing at the ragged edge of your vehicle's capacity will really stress the suspension and drive train and can lead to some control issues in windy conditions.  You also need to consider the combined gross weight rating for your tow vehicle.  You need to be below the gcvwr which includes the tow vehicle and contents and the total weight of the trailer.  There are lots of SUV's and small trucks with towing capacities that are greater about 4,500 lbs out there, but the mileage when not towing ain't so hot.  Good luck finding something that will work.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2024 at 7:07am
+1 lostagain Well said
Jay

179/2019
wunderlong88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wunderlong88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2024 at 7:10am
Thank you.  I had read some of the threads here and I suspected neither of those were going to be enough.

TY
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2024 at 1:23pm
The BMW X3 30i (2018 and newer) has a tow rating of 4400 lbs and even one as new as a 2020 would be well within the price range you indicated. I get about 30 mpg with mine (a 2020) when not towing and 15-17 when towing. I'm VERY happy with it both as a tow vehicle and my everyday car.
Julie
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2024 at 9:18pm
Having used a 2016 Escape to tow a 2016 RPod 179, I would advise you to go for something with a higher tow rating. Make sure it is rear-wheel or all-wheel drive as when the front end is lifted from the trailer weight, front wheel drive vehicles have diminished traction and steering capability. I speak from experience that you would not be happy with it.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply