R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: 179 Weight distribution / tounge weight/ sway issu
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

179 Weight distribution / tounge weight/ sway issu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Fireguyinfla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 179 Weight distribution / tounge weight/ sway issu
    Posted: 10 Dec 2023 at 6:49am
Somewhat new to travel trailer towing. Can someone please tell me what I should strive to keep my tounge weight at on the r pod 179? Loaded / unloaded / partially loaded. LP tank full or empty. I'm buying my own tounge weight scale. Thinking of using water in the tank which is located in front of the axle as ballast. Having occasional sway issues. TV is a 2015 f 150 crew 4x4 with trailer brakes and airbags, adjustable hitch. Always keep rig nice and level. No sway bars. Don't want to use them if I can help it. Warranty/ frame/ issues/ cost / hassle. I added a cargo platform to rear hitch of trailer. Carry a storage box. Reconfigured spare tire mount. Probably 80 to 100 lbs with box loaded added to rear of trailer. Anyone been through this? What does that tounge weight need to be at? Thanks
Jeffrey Harbuck
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2023 at 12:04pm
The rule of thumb for tongue weight is 10 to 12 percent of the gross trailer weight.

For example, if your trailer is 3000 lbs, the tongue weight should be 300 to 360 lbs. Do not go below 10%, but it's fine to go over 12% up to the limit of the vehicle. I have the same truck and have never worried about it because it can theoretically handle up to 1000 lbs (but I've never gone that high). Our RP179 tows like a dream; no sway or control issues whatsoever.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2023 at 3:13pm
+1  GG is correct.  Since following that advice many years ago - no sway issues.  I also own a Shurline tongue weight scale for added assurance.  Our 177 weighs much less than your 179 but the rules do not change. 

Our scenario: fully loaded 177 with 36 gallons water (tank behind axle) and supplies stored for a 30 day trip weighs in at 2940 lbs.  2940 x .11% = 323 minimum needed on the tongue to reduce/eliminate sway.  Our a-frame carries two 20# propane tanks and a pair of 12 volt batteries.  Tongue weight is 340 so we are good especially as we travel and use water the FW tank becomes depleted (behind axle) and water is transferred to either the gray or black tank which are both in front of the axle which is constantly adding weight to the tongue.  Over the 12 years of ownership we towed the first 8 years with an '08 and '13 front wheel drive Explorer and the the last 4 years with an '11 and '17 F-150, all using a basic Curt friction bar with no issues.  And mind you we have towed through snow storms, sleet, hail, heavy rain and cross winds in excess of 20 mph and have always felt safe towing.  The big thing, as GG above wisely points out, tongue weight is critical, make certain you know you have a minimum of 10% of total 179 weight on the (a-frame) tongue.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Fireguyinfla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fireguyinfla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2023 at 3:59pm
Thanks guys. I knew that had to be the problem. I have one LP tank and battery. Dry weight empty of my 179 is 3500 lbs. Figure 3800 with cargo box and water I'll have to add. I'll shoot for 12% of that. I'll check out that tounge weight scale. Thanks again đź‘Ť
Jeffrey Harbuck
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2023 at 8:31pm

We also have a 179 and use it for multiday/multiweek trips.  Thus, it is usually fully loaded and heavy when we travel.

Here are some actual weights that were taken as we began a 3 week trip recently

First pass-pod connected to Ford

Ford front axle                                                            2,760

Both axles (includes tongue weight)                       7,700

Combined Pod and Ford                                                         11,140

Pod axle weight                                                          3,440

Second pass-Ford only,

Ford front axle                                                            3190

Both axles                                                                    7010

Pod Tongue weight (7700-7010)                             690 (1 propane tank, spare tire, 2 6v batteries

Pod Total weight (3440+690)                                   4130

Tongue weight % (690/4130)                                   16.7%

We have a lot of tongue weight-(16.7%).

We have modified ours by moving the spare tire up to the A frame and we have 2 6volt Trojan batteries as well as the standard 20# propane tank ( which actually weighs around 34# when full).  We also store a lot of tools/equip in the front storage compartment. We usually start off with 5-10 gallons of water in the forward fresh tank and the rear black tank is 3-4 gallons of chemicals and water to slosh around and clean the tank while driving. Both the pantry and refrigerator are full and fortunately located behind the axle(to offset some tongue weight).

We modified the rear frame to accommodate a 2” bike rack/receiver and carried 2 mountain bikes on the rear. This added about 95# to the total. This also counterbalances the tongue weight.

We were pulling the pod with a v8 Ford Expedition  and use an Equalizer 4 point hitch with built in sway control.

We had stiffer rear shocks installed on the Expedition, used Michelin tires on the Expedition and Goodyear Endurance on the pod.

We have pulled the pod across country multiple times, north to south and east to west in all types of weather.  We have never felt any trace of sway or “white knuckle’ driving.

I think that towing safely is a combination of lots of individual components-

the tow vehicle with adequate suspension, power and tires

The hitch system properly adjusted

The pod properly packed and with quality, balanced tires

All components need to work together. 

Travel often and safe

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fireguyinfla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2023 at 3:58am
Hey van, how did you mount your spare tire to the A frame? I tried that. Mounted it to the outside of passenger side as far back and as high as I could get it. First trip to the keys, I pinched it with the bumper trying to turn around on one of those tiny roads. Crushed the box frame of the trailer where the tire mount was attached. Thank God it's no worse than it is. I suppose I could add another battery. I run a generator when boondocking. Never had a problem with just one, but I could use the weight. Ordered a tounge scale. I'll bet my bottom dollar I'm not even even close to 10%. Hoping some water in the tank will bring that up to 12% or more. I'm gonna shoot for 450lbs. on the tounge. Pretty sure that's going to fix me up.
Jeffrey Harbuck

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fireguyinfla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2023 at 4:17am
I'm running goodyear endurance on my r pod, and goodyear wranglers on my truck. All good there.
Jeffrey Harbuck
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2023 at 6:50am
Just looked on eBay at the Shurline TONGUE weight scales and see that they are cheaper now then when I purchased mine 6 years ago!  Saw one for under $ 100 with shipping included, is measured 0-2000 lbs, which is way more than what you need, mine goes up to 1000 lbs, which is way more than what I need.  Nice thing with the scale, it takes the guesswork out.  As far as weighing your 179 take it to your local county garage, they will weigh it for you, most likely for free.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2023 at 7:18am
We took the spare tire off of the rear and mounted it on the passenger side of the A frame.  We had to cut the existing propane tank base off and move it as far forward as possible.  This allpowed to tire to snug up to the front edge curve of the pod body.
we used the existing spare tire bracket and cut off the bottom part that was ata 90 degree angle. Welded the vertical part directly to the side of the A frame

here are a few pictures
hope this helps
travel often and safe
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2023 at 10:03am
I got rid of the last little bit of side- to - side movement in the mirrors when i tried Load Range E tires at 80 psi.  Rather than bouncing, the new tires really leveled out the ride.  62 mph seems to be the sweet spot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>