R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Slide Out potential issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 0ttr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slide Out potential issue
    Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 8:06pm
Hi, I have a 2013 177 and I've been doing the kind of maintenance that I guess you end up doing on what is now a ten year old trailer as well as some mods mentioned in other posts.  It's in reasonably good shape, IMO, but while I was putting a rust inhibitor on the trailer frame I was looking at the slide from underneath (which was out) and noticed that the actual track part seemed to have some separation from the floor of the slide.   Upon examination, it is attached to the floor of the slide (from the underside) with two screws and they are pulled out from the wood of the floor by about 1/4".     So I thought, nbd, I'll just see if I can tighten them up.  But no dice, they have effectively been pulled out of the wood, they turn loose, and thus are stripped.  The plate (not sure what you call it) of the slide itself looks fine but the screws show some rust.  Everything else looks fine.  The plate is obviously sagged by that 1/4" but the slide is not sagging, nor is there sagging in the wall or floor of the trailer.  So any thoughts?   Anyone seen this problem before?   My thought would be the get a jack or something and push the plate up to the floor then try to tighten those screws.  The will not tighten with the plate sagging (again, they are partially stripped)  and trying to push and hold the plate up to the floor with my hand won't work.  If I have the plate pushed up the the floor then I can get the screws out and assess how to deal with the problem.   Just wondered again if anyone else has seen this.

I've not had any issues with the slide at all.  There's part of me that is thinking to leave it alone, but that also seems like a bad idea as if it fails while I'm camping that would not be good. 
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 8:56pm
Greetings, Ottr.  I purchased a 177 back in January 2011 and yes I have seen this before on a 2012 (I think is was a 172 or 173), but mine is still in great shape.  What I suggested, and they did this, was to go to a hardware store and purchase some nuts, bolts and some flat washers for the top (wood) side.  I think we went with a set of 3 washers for each bolt, like 5/16 or 3/8 followed by 1/2 and then, on the bottom a 5/8" washer with a lock washer on top of the 5/16 or 3/8 flat so that the nut would hold when you tightened the bolt from below.  Firearm deer season starts tomorrow so I cannot be of any further help until Wednesday evening or Thursday if you have further questions.   One thing I would highly recommend that has been an issue with a lot of older slides like ours is to lubricate the rollers underneath the slide.  You may notice scuffing or if really bad, the black rubber rubbed off to the point to where the wood is showing.  From the outside locate the rubber roller and lubricate with a penetrant, so it will flow from one side to the other, avoid products like WD-40.  This should be done at least once every other year to keep it from seizing up and causing problems later. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
0ttr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 0ttr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 10:10pm
Thanks.  It was extremely difficult to get back behind the sink. drawers, and stove, but I was able to get bolts in.

My rollers look fine but I'll be lubricating them since I've never done that.  

Post Reply Post Reply