R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

New member from New Jersey, (yeah I know)...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave 316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member from New Jersey, (yeah I know)...
    Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 4:36pm
Hello, My name is Dave and I'm a military retiree, my wife will soon to be retired by spring.  

We just purchased the 2024 rpod 190C, 2 day's ago and were really looking forward to getting out and using it.  
We looked at many different campers before deciding on the rpod,  I'm in the metals engineering world so the construction and weight really appealed to me/us. 

I had a question for anyone out there who can give me a pointer or two on this.   
I noticed the windows on our rpod are (not) caulked around the outside frame.  I walked around the lot and looked at the other rpods and had seen they were not either.  I'm assuming they are very well sealed similar to a boat/marine construction.   Can anyone chime in on this and has anyone had any window issue ?  
Many years ago I had an older Jayco and had some real issues with window leaks, so I want to do any preventative measures (if needed).
Has anyone caulked theirs at all?  Anyone see the need? 

Thanks all, great to be here and looking to learn from all you who have came before! Smile
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 4:54pm
Welcome Dave to this forum, your 24/7 owners manual.  Congratulation on your 2024 190, hopefully you will get to use it a lot, being retired, and make a lot of great memories in the process.  THANK YOU for your unselfish service to our country.  We are blessed in this country and were very thankful when our son came back alive and in one piece from Afghanistan some years ago.

You are correct on the sealing of the windows.  We have been in some pretty intense storms over the 12+ years of owning our 177 and no leaks, either from the windows or the slide.  The only issues with windows for us is when camping in spring or fall when temps are 40's or less at night time leave a couple windows open 1/4 to 1/2" for ventilation or open the FF in the bathroom the same amount (not enough to turn fan on).  You will be amazed at how much moisture you produce overnight if you fail to do this:  windows will be soaked, walls will be as well.

Before going out on your maiden voyage, do a campout in your driveway overnight.  You will get a feel for things you may need that you didn't consider and for things you think you needed, but don't.  Enjoy.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 7:16pm
Hello Dave!

Welcome and Congratulations on your new RPod 190C! I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories with it. +1 on Jato's comments. When we got our 179, we took off on a cross-country trip a week later. We had a rather steep learning curve. We did not do the driveway camping beforehand.

A lot of the modifications I made were in response to either issues I encountered or to add features that were lacking. In February, we traded the 179 for a Cherokee Grey Wolf 24JS. I really liked the laminated construction of of the RPod. The Grey Wolf is stick and tin construction, but it does have a tandem axle. It does not have a slide-out, but with the additional length and width, it does not need the slide-out.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Dave 316 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave 316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 5:02am
Didn't think about doing an Initial camp out in the driveway, GREAT thought! Smile I have been putting together a list of items to have for emergency, such as (tool kit, LED battery lights, first aid kit) etc... Thanks for the Inspiring thoughts and the Information. 

Post Reply Post Reply