R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: What might cause bulges in Trojan flooded batterie
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

What might cause bulges in Trojan flooded batterie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote poohbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What might cause bulges in Trojan flooded batterie
    Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 7:24pm
My two Trojan 12v flooded batteries are through their third year. I noticed today when I put them on the wintertime trickle charger that both have quarter-inch bulges in their sidewalls. I've charged them then added water, so tomorrow I'll check the SG and voltage and report back.

They have spent two winters on that deWalt charger inside a garage in northern Rockies climate, and I have no reason to think they ever froze, so what other causes are there for this bulging of the sidewalls?
2016 179 Gastropod
2017 Ridgeline
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 9:24pm
Having been involved with battery chargers for electric golf carts I have seen this happen numerous times.  Trojans are the gold standard for golf cart batteries.  If batteries get overcharged, due to charger malfunction, the electrolyte can boil and boil for extended periods of time, resulting in bulging of the sidewall.  The only other times I see this is if the battery is way undercharged and is then subject to freezing or below temps, resulting in the same. Was there ever a period of time where you were without power and the charger would not have been charging?  Check the following: when on the Dewalt charger are you reading 13.5 or 13.6 v on your multimeter?  Disconnect charger and let your batteries rest for 4 hours and read voltage, then do the same 24 hours later making sure there are no phantom draws on either battery, the readings for both times should result in no more than 0.02v difference if the batteries are good. 

Last year I trickle charged my Trojan T-1275 battery for 24 hours at 2 amps, first week in November.  After that I disconnected from charger and set both batteries (the other is a 12v Interstate deep cycle) directly on the concrete floor in an unheated garage, making once/month readings to make sure they were holding charge.  The last reading was taken May 1 the following year (6 months after the November charge) and the voltage was 12.54, not too bad after 6 months.  The other battery was only 12.38v but considering it is 12 years old, I am not complaining. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 10:50am
I have also seen batteries swell if subjected to a very high discharge (as in a short circuit). It can happen fast, as I personally experienced one time.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 8:23am
Then there was the time the thermometer got down to -25 here in SW Idaho right before christmas.  My then - 87 Ramcharger wouldn't start, so I found a lamp to shine on the battery for a couple of hours.  And I used an infrared bulb for good measure. The two hours turned into several and I went to check.  The battery case had bulged out a good 6-8 " as a giant almost transparent paper-thin bubble.  I quickly unhooked the lamp, the ram charger started like gangbusters, and I drove down to the NAPA store and changed out the battery in the parking lot.  Disaster averted.
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 8:53pm
The original, white case,  Interstate battery that came with our Rpod did this the first season. The sides bulged during a trip through northern Colorado. We made it back home and I promptly replaced it with two Costco batteries. Those went 5 years with the same RV charger and garage charger during the winter with no issues. The original was definitely a defective battery.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
 Post Reply Post Reply