R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Blowout PSI Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blowout PSI Question
    Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 8:19am
Hey there! New to forum and still low on the learning curve. Have a friend who wants to help winterize my poddy, but I'm worried his compressor will be too much for my system (his is 80-120 psi). He pointed out that water pressure is usually at least 60 psi, but I read on this forum I shouldn't go over 30 psi. So, what's the bottom line? Should I invest in one of those "tire-inflator" compressors just to keep it safe? If so, what's a good one to get (on a fixed income)? THANK YOU FOR THIS FORUM!! (I have been lurking for over two years and it has helped this novice out so many times.)
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 10:11am
You didn't mention if your pod is a new one or if it has been used for a while.  The reason for that question is that all the water fittings will be of the same age. Just something to keep in mind.  Your friend should be able adjust the air pressure that is going into the hose.  Not everything needs 80-120 psi and that would be too much pressure for the job.  If he can adjust the pressure then have him adjust the pressure to 30-40 psi and you should be good to go.  If he can't adjust the air pressure then what I would do is just use anti-freeze in the whole system.  You can find a lot of instructions on how to winterize your system with anti-freeze and that is the method that I prefer to use.  Hope this helps.
Jay

179/2019
Ktj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 10:34am
Thanks, Jay. Mine is a 2017, little used. Apparently, his compressor is not adjustable. I was trying to avoid the anti-freeze route, as I had the poddy winterized in WY for two years using blow-out method with anti-freeze in drains and it worked well even in many below zero nights. In UT now and would like to stick with the method if possible. Thank you for your quick response...I think I will buy my own air compressor! :)
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 2:01pm
Ktj.  I value Jay's opinions and he has a wealth of knowledge under his belt as he has been an rpod owner for quite a number of years.

I have used 85 psi for blowing out my 177 for the past 11 winters without issues BUT if using this method always keep one line open the whole time while blowing out the other lines.  The procedure used is as follows: open line 1 and turn pressure on then open line 2.  Once the water is totally expelled in line 1 close it and then open line 3, as the water in line 2 is all out close that and open line 4  and so on ending with the toilet and or outdoor water shower if you have one.  As you can see there is always one line open while expelling water.  Using this method I can go through all lines  twice in less than 2 minutes.  Have not had any breaks or cracking of parts at the water pump or anywhere else either.  I live about 2 hours north and east of Jay in northern Michigan, this method works well, just know the procedure.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Ktj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 2:51pm
Jato, I appreciate your reply. I, too, value Jay's expertise and have read too many of his posts to mention! I value any and all feedback I get here, and will most likely do my own thing and then whine about the consequences. Lol
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 11:03am
I use 45psi when winterizing with air. Works fine, no danger if you don't have a valve open all the time. I think any pressure high enough to move the water, but low enough to not blow a line or fitting.. is fine.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 11:10am
Buy your friend a pressure regulator for his compressor. You can get one for $20-$30 and your friend will love you.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Ktj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 11:48am
Good idea! (Or, just suck it up and buy my own.) Thanks, forum folks.
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by furpod

I use 45psi when winterizing with air. 

I'm a 45 guy, too.  Seems to be enough to clear the lines, but not enough to blow fittings.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
 Post Reply Post Reply