R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

CHARGING

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CHARGING
    Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 2:18pm
Good day all:  Battery charging question.  Up until recently, anytime I would have the pod plugged in, the light indicator would always read C(assume charging).  Now it always just reads G(assume good).  Curious as to why this may have changed.  I know that the light indicators are not always accurate (especially the black tank light!!), but wondering if something else may be going on with the charging system.  Thoughts appreciated.  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 6:57pm
Jon,  the best way to get to the bottom of this mystery is to get out your voltmeter or multi tester and see what your voltage is.  How old are your batteries?  Have you been on a good regimen maintenance wise like keeping the electrolyte levels up with distilled water?  Do you charge them faithfully once they drop to 12.2v (for a 12 v battery, 1/2 that for a 6 v.) for maximum battery longevity?  Let the battery(s) sit idle for a few hours and let them rest before taking a reading.   Then do the same thing a 24 hour period later.  The reading should be within 0.02v between the readings if the battery is good.  And yes, during the test, make sure it is disconnected from your pod so no phantom draws come into the picture.  Report back, there is your homework assignment Jon.LOL
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 7:55pm
Thanks for the homework asssignment Jato!!  The batteries are new this spring, 6 volts.  Since I fried the others due to not monitoring the water level, I now check these twice a month!!  I really havent done any dry camping, so there always plugged in (except when traveling!!).  I will report back!!  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 1:53pm
Good idea to monitor them regularity especially since they are always plugged in the chance of evaporating water is greater than when they aren't plugged in due to the charging cycle. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply