R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Heater not heating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Bonnieladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heater not heating
    Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 11:09am
We took the new 193 out this weekend and the temp got frosty cold outside - the first time since we purchased the 2022 Rpod 193 new this spring.  I opened the gas valve on the tank and then set the thermostat to "heat" in the RV.  The fan kicked on, then I heard several rapid ticks (furnace being lit?).  However, the heat never came on.  The fan kept running, but it just wasn't producing any heat.  
This is the first time I have tried to use the heat.  Is there some start-up process I need to do? 
2022 RPod193
Music City USA
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 4:22pm
Greetings Bonnieladd,

It could very well be, since this is the first time heater is being used, the propane needs to get to the ignitor.  Every time I change propane tanks, air gets in the line, and it takes 3-4 attempts to get the furnace to light.  Same goes for turning on the propane water heater and fridge.  First thing I do is to light the stove, even that takes about 15 seconds to light after changing tanks, and then proceed to HW, fridge, and finally stove.  Hopefully it will be an easy fix.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Bonnieladd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bonnieladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 9:43pm
So, I tried lighting the stove top (no problem), firing up the fridge (all good), and I even lit up the bush kitchen flat top (cookin with gas) and let them all burn.  I then tried the furnace several more times.  After a a couple of attempts, the fan started sputtering on and off, the ticking turned into strange intermittent clanging - sounded like a woodpecker on an aluminum tree or a pneumatic ratchet - but it would only do it randomly and in spurts.  I stopped trying after several attempts and the fan stopped coming on.  I never smelled gas.  
2022 RPod193
Music City USA
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 11:54pm
Clanging metal sounds are not good. You will need to get that checked out professionally. The fan blower may have broken or something else has. There is a sail switch. If the fan does not spin up and there isn't enough air movement to move the sail switch sufficiently, it will not allow propane to flow. That is likely why you did not smell propane.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply