R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

using fridge while traveling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: using fridge while traveling
    Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 5:44pm
My camper is RPod 182 and we're still novices. I'm trying to figure out how I can run the fridge while traveling down the road so when we arrive, our stuff in fridege is cold...I feel like it's something simple that I'm not doing correctly. 
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 8:39pm
What type of fridge do you have? Is it a 3-way which can run on AC, DC or Gas. Or is it a two way which runs on AC or DC? 

If it is a 3-Way, you can either run it on DC (battery) or Gas. Depending on your tow vehicle and battery setup, your alternator may not be able to keep up with the draw on the batteries if you run on DC and you may have low battery capacity when you get to your destination.

You'll get all kinds of opinions running the fridge on gas while traveling. We run ours on gas but take a precaution at gas stations. We turn off the gas before we pull up to the pumps. Even though the flame for the absorption fridge is shielded, it is still an open flame.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
zzimmer3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote zzimmer3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 10:30am
i  run our fridge while traveling. i always have.  my old camper i put it on gas, this one its off the battery. i highly recommend it. 
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 11:47am
If you have put screens to protect from bugs in the openings for the refrigerator, it is no longer an open flame. Metal screens are a flame arrestor.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 6:13pm
+1  We always travel with propane on, it is legal in all 50 states and if it were a liability issue we would certainly hear about it in the news.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 9:56am
Originally posted by StephenH

If you have put screens to protect from bugs in the openings for the refrigerator, it is no longer an open flame. Metal screens are a flame arrestor.
I had not thought of that.

I wonder if that affects your ability to go through some tunnels (where pilot lights are forbidden)?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 10:37am
I don't know. We have been through many mountain tunnels, but we had to bypass the Baltimore tunnels because they had a flat out sign that stated that propane was forbidden. Any tunnel that is high in the center would be okay, but not those that dip under rivers, bays, etc. That is because propane sinks and could accumulate in the bottom of a tunnel that goes down to the center. In that case, I agree with the safety precaution of turning off any propane appliance and turning the valves on the tanks off. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 11:34am
That's a true caution. Friends/neighbors of ours had an outdoor propane grill that was fed with a pipe from their main propane tank. It passed under their deck where there was a low area. They had a propane leak that they weren't aware of, so the propane pooled in that area. There was a spark or something, but the bottom line was the propane ignited and they lost their home.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
winkeye67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winkeye67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2023 at 2:42pm
I recently read that if fridge is located on slide out, it's not good to load it while driving as the added weight could cause issues with the slide out.  
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2023 at 3:57pm
We have a 2019 179 and have put 30,000+ miles on it. We have the fridge in the slideout and have always traveled with a full fridge and so far not experienced any problems with the slideout. I had better knock on some wood. Hope this helps you.
Jay

179/2019
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>