R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Lack of out rigger body supports

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote wvanauken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lack of out rigger body supports
    Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 9:17am
I have a problem too with floor sag directly underneath the slide out on my 2019 R-pod 180. I contacted Forest River about obtaining the supports, but instead got a lot push back. They feel that the supports just fixes a symptom and not the problem. They wanted me to take pictures showing the over hang sag with a combination square which I felt was reasonable. They sent me a questionnaire titled "Over Torsion Axle" where they also wanted a pictures of the axle tag on the Lippert axle, pictures of my towing set up, hitch set up, hitch, weight distribution hitch with the brand, tongue and weight capacities and tow vehicle type. They also wanted pictures of the unit showing the clearance between the fender and tires. Apparently they feel that this body sag is related to the axle and weight distribution hitch. I told her specifically that the floor sag was only evident directly under the slide out. That there is no sag in any other location. I told her that I felt sure that the issue was because of the lack of out rigger body supports at the frame. I measured the distance from each side of the frame at the axle to the ground which was exactly the same. I used a string to check for any bend in the axle housing - none. I checked the distance between the fenders and the tires which was almost the same. There was some difference in the clearance measurement only because I discovered that one fender was mounted higher on the body than the other one! I asked if I could just purchase the outrigger supports from her direct and she refused. She also wanted pictures of the inside floor sag with a level. I told her that there was no evidence of interior sag or separation between the floor and wall and hopefully will avoid any future separation if I can get these outrigger supports now so that I can install them immediately. She actually said no that I still needed to get pictures interior floor with a level. I'm at wits end with Forest River. I had many issues with this unit when I first got the unit new (that's a whole different story). I told her that if I can't get the outrigger supports from her, that I would go to a local fabricator and have them made.
2019 R-pod 180
2008 Toyota Tundra
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 10:37am
Get them on the after market. There are now at least a few places to get them. We got ours from Innovative machine in Missouri. 

INNOVATIVE Machine & Supply
345 Sun Valley Circle
Fenton MO 63026
636 600-1171
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
wvanauken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wvanauken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 10:42am
Thank you GlueGuy!!!
2019 R-pod 180
2008 Toyota Tundra
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 5:14pm
If you are good with a welder, make your own. They will end up being more sturdy than the factory ones. It sounds like Forest River is trying to find anything to blame other than the poor design decision that allows for too much cantilevered floor to adequately support the wall when the slide out weight is added.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
wvanauken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wvanauken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2023 at 6:27pm
Exactly! I'm not a bad welder, but no welder or other equipment needed to cut bend the pieces. I would love to do it if not for that. 
2019 R-pod 180
2008 Toyota Tundra
ScottShackleton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ScottShackleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 10:22am
Newbie here.  We just bought (haven't picked up) a 2022 189 HRE.  Does anyone know if the outrigger issue was fixed by the time these were made or is this an issue I should check out.  
wvanauken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wvanauken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 10:47am
Thank you GlueGuy for the info about where to get the outrigger body supports. They are well made and came with good pertinent info with regards to mounting, fastener info, spacers, etc. They were good to deal with and got my order to me quickly. I've installed them and I'm very happy.

Bill
2019 R-pod 180
2008 Toyota Tundra
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 7:32am
Has this 'sag' issue only been a problem with the larger pods and slides, like the 179's and up?  Am curious if this is something I should install on my 177 that I have owned for 12+ years.  It shows no sign of sagging nor have I ever heard of this being an issue on the smaller R-Pods.  Advice?  Thanks
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 11:03am
You may be right about that. The RP179 has a pretty substantial slide-out. I have no idea how big the one on the RP177 is. I did not go out to measure ours, but I think it's around 9' long.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
wvanauken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wvanauken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 12:49pm
So from what I could ascertain is your 177 is not that much smaller than my 180. Your dry weight is about 400 lbs. less than mine and about 1-1/2 feet shorter. Our GVWR is about the same. You said it shows no sign of sagging. Did you use a a framer's square and put it against the outside of the frame up against the bottom of the floor to see if there is any sag? Mine was sagging underneath the slide-out. At the very least, you can check under the slide out and/or see if there are any outrigger supports there.
2019 R-pod 180
2008 Toyota Tundra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>