This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

New member - Event Date: 28 Aug 2023

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Snowgroomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New member
    Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 10:31am
Bought a new 2019 209 this spring, converted it to lithium and solar and some other changes. Had some sag under the slide but have not found any water damage in the floor. I have two issues: the first being the slide having difficulty moving even though i have installed outriggers and the second is the trailer is far heavier than advertised and is over 3800 lbs w/o any water. I am towing with a diesel Canyon and am having to get a larger tv due to the RGVW is maxed out and the transmission is running too hot. Want to keep the trailer but am annoyed about all of the issues I have had to deal with. Has anyone upgraded to a larger capacity axle?
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Snowgroomer

Bought a new 2019 209 this spring ... the trailer is far heavier than advertised and is over 3800 lbs w/o any water.

I'm not familiar with a 209, but many of the Rpods are going to run around that heavy or more.

My 2016 180 is 3,500 lbs, ready to camp.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 1:31pm
+1  Also never heard of the 209, but all the larger pods have a lot of weight to them.

Our 2011  177 fully loaded with 36 gallons of water and packed to the gills for a 30 day road trip will weigh in at 2940 lbs, with a tongue weight of 340.  We only utilize a friction bar when towing, have traveled this way for over 45,000 miles w/o issue.  Hope you can get camping with your 209 and enjoy it this year before the white stuff begins to fall.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Snowgroomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Snowgroomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 2:21pm
Sorry guys missed the typo. It is a RP190.
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2023 at 6:05pm
The "over advertised weight" issue has been common for R Pods and most all rv's.
The advertised weight usually does not come close to reality because of the industry standard of listing the weight as it leaves the factory.  this does not include "dealer installed items" like batteries and propane, "extras" like tow system parts, lift kits and some do not include microwave or even ac units because they are part of special packages.

the only real weight is to stock and pack the pod as if camping/traveling and then weigh it on a scale

Travel often and safe
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
poston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2023 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Snowgroomer

Bought a new 2019 190 this spring ... is far heavier than advertised and is over 3800 lbs w/o any water. I am towing with a diesel Canyon and am having to get a larger tv due to the RGVW is maxed out and the transmission is running too hot.

Specs I found show that 3,800 lbs is about the max capacity of the 190:  2,785 lbs. dry weight + 1,051 lbs payload capacity = 3,836 lbs.  It looks like you're carrying about a 1/2 ton of stuff in the trailer if that weight doesn't include water!

But I'm kinda surprised that your Canyon is having problems towing it.  Do you have the tow/trailer package?

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
Snowgroomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Snowgroomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2023 at 8:45am
Hi Jim. I have tried to find out if the diesel automatically comes with the tow package and i believe it does. The trailer has an air conditioner, microwave, 2 20 lb propane tanks, lithium batteries, solar gear and some gear, food and clothing but they don’t come close to 1000 lbs. Even if they do, why put an axle underneath that barely handles the usual gear that goes into a trailer? I am betting that the vast majority of trailer owners have never weighed their trailers and tv’s and have no idea that they are overweight and probably don’t care.

I am now accepting the fact that the trailer is overweight and disappointed that the trucks transmission and the rear axle are maxed out. My question still stands, has anyone upgraded to a higher capacity axle and what did you get? Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply