R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Oops! Dometic RM8501 not working-FIXED!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Austintaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oops! Dometic RM8501 not working-FIXED!
    Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 10:10pm
http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10442&PID=144030&title=dometic-fridge-control-module-12-vdc-fusing#144030

I’m pretty sure I did the same thing as referenced in this thread, but before I go and pull the fridge to get to the control panel I wanted to run it by the experts:

I’m pretty bummed. I spent the last few days during my off time trying to get the fridge to cool properly. I did multiple cleanings of the burner, orifice, flu, etc….and I had the freezer compartment getting down to 19 while outside temps were around 105. Winning…..

I went to move the fan temp sensor as suggested and I think that’s where I goofed. I had turned it off to make the move, but when I went to turn it on, the controls were dead. Nothing.

I checked the 12 V fuses, the GFCI, unplugged it, disconnected the battery and reconnected and still nothing. 

Do I need to try and get at the control board behind the fridge? Anywhere else I should look? Ughhhhhh
2003 Toyota Tacoma
1984 Toyota 4runner
2016 Rpod HRE 179
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 7:41am
I wish I could offer you hope. I had something similar happen to mine. I was not as successful as you in getting it to cool. I went to turn it on and . . . . nothing! :(

It will be interesting to read if you are successful in getting it running again. I ended up replacing mine with a Dometic electric only model. https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/collections/boat-marine-refrigerator-freezers/products/refrigerator-crx1110e-fs . My mods has the installation and the other changes I had made to our former RP-179.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 8:40am
Curious if you are getting 12V to the mother board.  I gave my spare board to another podder who had a problem similar to yours.  (I replaced my 8501 three years ago with an exact replacement 8501 - mine failed because of an ammonia leak after 10 years but all other parts were perfectly functional).  They had 12v going in to the board but zero volts going out, I hope that isn't your case.  Hard to believe that by moving the fan temp sensor it would fry the board.  Has to be a simpler explanation like a loose wire somewhere - hopefully.  Keep us informed, all is not lost.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Austintaco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austintaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 8:47am
Thank you both for the replies. When you say “motherboard” are you referring to the eyebrow panel or the one on the back of the unit? I have not made access to the one on the back of the fridge. I’m trying to avoid it if I can.
I checked the 12VDC block on the back and there is power at all terminals except the D+? Looking for an explanation of what that may mean. 
2003 Toyota Tacoma
1984 Toyota 4runner
2016 Rpod HRE 179
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 9:01am
For me, the motherboard is located on top, or the eyebrow panel.  If you are not getting any display on the status indicator it would seem like a wire or connection the the panel must have worked loose.  Was the status indicator working or displaying before you moved the fan temp sensor?

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austintaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 9:19am
Maybe I’m referring to the wrong part? I can remove the display panel, what I am calling the eyebrow and behind that is a circuit board with one ribbon connection and one small gauge wire connection. I believe that runs to another board that is dead center of the back of the fridge and in my case blocked by baffles from the top and bottom. 

I was looking for StephenH’s photos of removing the old fridge to see what it will take to get to the back of it, but I’m also to the point of going with a new fridge if I’m going to do this.
2003 Toyota Tacoma
1984 Toyota 4runner
2016 Rpod HRE 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austintaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 10:24am
I’m looking for a good wiring diagram, but after poking around and taking some photos, this is on a 2016 179, I have confirmed that the eyebrow panel has a ribbon connector that goes to another circuit board behind a box. The temp controller/thermistor also runs to the eyebrow panel.

The 2nd board/box is behind the “baffle box” that is installed in the back. I believe this was added by a tech after sale sometime in the past? If I can figure out how to remove this box (it occupies the area between the two vents and creates a ledge at the top that goes with an inch of the coils), I could get to this other board.

Anyone have a similar setup? Should I just disconnect the fridge and move it…ughhhhhhhhh……l

How can I test the eyebrow board or the ribbon connector to it to determine if they have power?

Thanks again for the help.
2003 Toyota Tacoma
1984 Toyota 4runner
2016 Rpod HRE 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austintaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 2:16pm
I’m just documenting as I find some info for future reference for myself and others.
I am on shift today and using some down time to look up info and I came across this:

I’m new to RV absorption fridges so this might be old news to everyone else. It appears that this is a safety product that RV places were installing after recalls for some fridges. I know some Dometic fridges had the reset button on the boiler thermal sensor, but I don’t think mine does from what I can tell.
I also don’t think my fan ever worked with the temp sensor, the one I was moving before this happened. I’m wondering, if by chance, the fan temp sensor is wired incorrectly and I fried it while moving it and now the control board is not getting power? 

2003 Toyota Tacoma
1984 Toyota 4runner
2016 Rpod HRE 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austintaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 2:21pm
https://www.arprv.com/dometic-fan.php

Replying to myself for anyone following. The same company on the same site makes a fan sensor setup for the fridges. I’m really curious if a dealer or tech wired the fan temp sensor incorrectly or correctly and it is killing power to the controls.
2003 Toyota Tacoma
1984 Toyota 4runner
2016 Rpod HRE 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austintaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 2:49pm
More info: https://www.justanswer.com/rv-motorhome/lo88s-working-dometic-rm-8501-refrigerator-2016.html

I might be out of luck, based on this person’s issue. It’s exactly what I’m dealing with. The question is, how does the fan temp control short out the entire system. If there is a fuse, where is it? If there is not a fuse, then I fried the board….
2003 Toyota Tacoma
1984 Toyota 4runner
2016 Rpod HRE 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>