R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Oops! Dometic RM8501 not working-FIXED!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Austintaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oops! Dometic RM8501 not working-FIXED!
    Posted: 23 Aug 2023 at 9:38pm
First of all, thank you for being a great community and following along. I hope this helps others if they go down this path and make the same mistake. A special thank you to Adam in Co for his help in direct messaging me back with what worked for him.
There are many variations of the RM 8501 so what I did and others did may or may not work for you, but here it is:
In my 2016 179 HRE, the fridge had one fan at the bottom with a small black and red wire going to it. My thermal sensor had two red wires with spade connectors to it. I had power at the 12 volt distribution block, but nothing after the control board between the two vents in the back. 
From what worked for others and some of the wiring diagrams online, it appeared that the one fan had a black ground wire and a red positive wire that came from the closed side of the sensor. The other side of the sensor should have had power from the control board, but it did not due to me shorting out an internal fuse.
Using alligator clips to “test” my theoretical diagram I clipped one to the one of the spade connectors and the other to a positive on the distribution block and I heard and filmed via my iphone, the fridge powering up! I then clipped it to the other spade connector on the sensor and touched the positive on the distribution block and as I suspected, the fan turned on!
So, if you make this same mistake and think you have the same setup as I described, one side of the the thermal switch back feeds the hard to get at control board and the other will turn on the fan. 
Phew! 
2003 Toyota Tacoma
1984 Toyota 4runner
2016 Rpod HRE 179
poohbill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote poohbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2023 at 11:34pm
Congratulations! Thanks for your detailed contribution. Keep podding on.
2016 179 Gastropod
2017 Ridgeline
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12