R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Calling Electrical Experts...and others interested
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Calling Electrical Experts...and others interested

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling Electrical Experts...and others interested
    Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 6:16pm
Glad you got it figured out. Likewise, I hope you have a lot of fun camping trips.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
rPodCamping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rPodCamping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 4:16pm
Thank you seafans and StephenH for your suggestions. 

Our trailer has a decal indicating where a future solar controller would be located.  I removed one of the adjacent control switch panels and found a similar color and size wire to the 10 AWG wire shown in the picture.  With the aid of an extension cord I rigged up a continuity circuit was able to verify that it was the same wire.   So....I think the mystery has been solved.  Again, thank you very much.  

Have fun camping !! 

Bob in Grand Rapids, MI
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 2:55pm
Then I suspect the other end of that #10 red wire will be there at the panel location.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote rPodCamping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Is your trailer solar prepped? If so, see if that one leads to the solar connector. The one on the other side of the bus bar on the battery side may lead to the breakaway switch for the brakes or possibly to the electrical tongue jack.

StephenH;

The trailer is pre-wired for solar, but we have not yet purchased a panel or controller. 

And you are correct, the black wire on the other side of the bus bar does indeed power the emergency brakes breakaway switch.  

Bob 

Post Options Post Options   Quote rPodCamping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by seafans

There is a very good chance the #10 wire goes to the solar panel.  There should be a sticker on the wall somewhere for the locate of the solar controller.  If possible remove the panel, hopeful only a couple of screws, one of the wire should be the same size and color.  To make sure you can cut the wire or what I have done in the past for trouble shooting is insert a small straight pin in the wire and use an ohmmeter to check for continuity.

Thanks for your suggestion, seafans.  

There are other control switches / panels at the location where a future solar controller would go......so I will remove them to see what I can learn.  

Bob 
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 12:21pm
Is your trailer solar prepped? If so, see if that one leads to the solar connector. The one on the other side of the bus bar on the battery side may lead to the breakaway switch for the brakes or possibly to the electrical tongue jack.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 12:20pm
There is a very good chance the #10 wire goes to the solar panel.  There should be a sticker on the wall somewhere for the locate of the solar controller.  If possible remove the panel, hopeful only a couple of screws, one of the wire should be the same size and color.  To make sure you can cut the wire or what I have done in the past for trouble shooting is insert a small straight pin in the wire and use an ohmmeter to check for continuity.

Post Options Post Options   Quote rPodCamping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2023 at 11:23am
I have a 2020 rPod 176.

Attached is a picture of battery-related wiring & several auto-resetting circuit breakers at the front of the trailer, near the battery.

The larger 8 AWG wire originates at the positive terminal of the battery, continues thru a 30 AMP auto-resetting circuit breaker, then feeds the DC side of the power center.

The smaller 10 AWG wire also originates at the positive terminal of the battery, continues thru a separate 20 AMP auto-resetting breaker, then on to an unknown destination.  

I am trying to determine the purpose and function of this smaller wire as part of a potential project to relocate the battery.

In an attempt to discover the function of the smaller wire, I have done the following:

- With the battery installed (no shore power) I first disconnected the smaller 10 AWG wire only from its circuit breaker, then attempted to power up any & all DC circuits in the trailer.  ALL DC circuits powered up (LED lights, fans, radio, slideout, awning, etc.). 

- With the battery installed (no shore power) I next disconnected the larger 8 AWG wire only from its circuit breaker.   NO DC circuits powered up. 

- With shore power 'on', 13.65 volts was detected in the larger 8 AWG wire at the battery, but no voltage was detected in the smaller 10 AWG wire at the battery.  

So what is the function of this smaller 10 AWG wire ??? 

Note:  This trailer has been pre-wired for solar power, which we do not have.  Is is possible the smaller 10 AWG smaller wire is the battery charging wire from the solar panel ??   If so, is there a way to test that theory?

Any suggestions on how to further investigate this mystery is greatly appreciated.

Bob in Grand Rapids, MI

Post Reply Post Reply