R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Hot water heater working sporadically

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote CB928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot water heater working sporadically
    Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 2:49pm
Hi all,  
I just returned froma  trip thru the Canadian Rockies with my RPod 178 - 2016. 
My hot water heater was not working consistantly, like a few moments of hot water would come out followed by tepid water then cold and then a few minutes later back to hot.  

Any thoughts?
Many thanks,
Colleen
New to RVing!
2015 RPod 178

jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 3:35pm
Has this issue just begun or has this just started to be a problem?  I believe you have a 3 valve system on for your HW for bypass and winterization mode.  If that is the case it sounds as though one of the valves is not in the proper position.  The one directly in front of the HW tank should be shut (valve is perpendicular to the line below it) and the ones above and below should open (valve is parallel to the water line below).  Regardless, it should be an easy fix.  This is summer mode operation.  Reverse the
valves when winterizing.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
CB928 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CB928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 4:43pm
Thank you Jato!  I am sure you are correct.  I was confused when dewinterizing it this year...  did it by myself for the first time!  I will be able to check it this weekend.  Thank you for the help.  I will let you know
New to RVing!
2015 RPod 178

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 5:53pm
Jato, I think you got it backward. If the one between top and bottom is parallel and the top and bottom ones are perpendicular, that is the winter bypass position. The top and bottom ones should be parallel to the lines and the one between should be perpendicular.

This can happen when all three are open (parallel). Some cold water gets mixed in with the hot water. I expect the middle one is the problem.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
CB928 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CB928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 6:42pm
Stephen, 
I think this is what I have done, I have opened all three.  
Thank you for the clarification.  I will print this out and stick itn next to the water heater for reference next year!
New to RVing!
2015 RPod 178

jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Jato, I think you got it backward. If the one between top and bottom is parallel and the top and bottom ones are perpendicular, that is the winter bypass position. The top and bottom ones should be parallel to the lines and the one between should be perpendicular.

This can happen when all three are open (parallel). Some cold water gets mixed in with the hot water. I expect the middle one is the problem.

Indeed, I stand corrected.  Should not give an answer after waking up from a nap!  You are correct Stephen, I am sorry for the confusion.  I will go back an correct my original "incorrect" answer.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 8:08pm
I don't have to worry about that with the new trailer's tankless heater. I did just install a ShowerMiser, and will have to pay attention to that valve so I don't overflow the fresh water tank when we are connected to city water though.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply