R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Jacking up an R-Pod 202

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote bgoff60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jacking up an R-Pod 202
    Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 10:58pm
Need to squirt some bearing grease into the tires of our R-Pod 202.  I have the grease and I have the grease gun.  The trailer is parked in our driveway with not real 'opportunity' to drive it forward and backwards to utilize a trailer lifter.  My real question is (and not to start a holy war) is where do I put the jack to lift it (ideally) one wheel at at time?  This unit has a tandem axel for a total of 4 wheel and is a torsion style of suspension.  

I have this jack: 
https://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-640912-Black-All-Bottle/dp/B003ULZGFU/ref=sr_1_6?crid=OUWK4FPMZ2LV&keywords=6000+lb+jack&qid=1692244565&sprefix=6000+lb+jack%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-6

So, do I put the jack on the frame or, on the axle closer to the outer edge of the axel by the wheel?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 11:33pm
Ideally, lift at the brackets that hold the tandem axle. I don't have a picture and my tandem axle is a spring one. I had built a V block that allowed the axle to cradle in the V and the lifting surfaces to be the attachment brackets when I had the RPod. That worked well to not put pressure on the axle tube.My block cradled the axle tube and allowed the lifting point to be at the very strong attachment. I built it out of 2 pieces of 2x6 screwed together and then cut out the axle notch. I had to square off one end of the V notch though so that it would not pinch the brake wires. I would not put the jack on the frame unless you use a long block to distribute the stress.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply