Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPod 171 & Jeep
    Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by marshwatcher

David,

You can imagine why we are still in dry dock with the 176T! This is our first camper of any kind. We have done quite a bit of tent camping and hence our partiality to the hybrid pod with the tent out back. It really is roomy when opened up and the self inflating air mattress is comfy. Now the up front bunks are another story entirely---can you say haaarrd? We have already gotten 4" memory foam for those. You would think that Forest River would give us a fighting chance to be comfortable and not go so much on the cheap with the bunks.

We are close to our first voyage but still walking around the pod going hmmm? what is that for? We can't learn it all ahead of time but just keep discovering something new everyday.

I seem to remember one of the forum members referring to the factory supplied "matresses" as "animal bedding".  Personally, I wouldn't be that cruel to my Dixie! LOL

In all fairness however, most, if not all of the manufacturers do the same.  The matress in my Coleman is a bad joke.  I did take it out a few days ago and will be making a trip to the matress shop prior to my first outing.  It's a standard 60'X80" queen, so it's just a matter of how much money I want to spend.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new Pod and no doubt make a few mistakes/learn some things along the way.  We all have and still do...it's part of the fun. Smile
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 3:23am
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

I pull an RP-151 with a Tacoma.  No way in hell would I attempt an RP-171 with a Jeep.

There are many types of Jeeps.  My tow limit is 5K pounds with my Liberty 4X4.  The Jeep in question, a 4 door 4X4, has a tow limit of 3.5K pounds.  The Wrangler due to it's weight and wheel base cannot tow larger weights.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
marshwatcher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 7:04pm
David,

You can imagine why we are still in dry dock with the 176T! This is our first camper of any kind. We have done quite a bit of tent camping and hence our partiality to the hybrid pod with the tent out back. It really is roomy when opened up and the self inflating air mattress is comfy. Now the up front bunks are another story entirely---can you say haaarrd? We have already gotten 4" memory foam for those. You would think that Forest River would give us a fighting chance to be comfortable and not go so much on the cheap with the bunks.

We are close to our first voyage but still walking around the pod going hmmm? what is that for? We can't learn it all ahead of time but just keep discovering something new everyday.

MissPolly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 5:57pm
Big smile Thanks for the Welcome Marsh..and David.

I am looking forward to my Rpod dream coming true as well. There is a Roundup in TX over Memorial Day, and I already made a reservation at the camp site! SO It would be fun to have a RPod to stay in!!! 

I like the floor plan 175, but I believe a 173, 173T or 176 could work for my family as well. It is Me, 5 ft 4 in on a good day, 4 mnth old son and a 160 lb dog. So we really need the R-dome and lots of floor space for the dog.

This forum is so much fun, and it appears people love to share their experiences...so I wanted personal towing experience with a 4 door Jeep.

Thanks so much Polly
Faux Pod owner, mother to Strike 7 mths old future left handed relief pitcher, and Atlas 3 yr old Neo Mastiff
Flagstaff Micro Lite XLT 18RK
2008 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 3:48pm
Welcome saxack and Miss Polly! Smile  It's good to have you aboard!

Marshwatcher....wow - you got a generic manual!  I didn't even get that.  It's a good thing the Pod wasn't my first camper LOL

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 3:36pm
Miss Polly,
If I can offer a spot of advice...check in with a reputable Pod dealer about the sufficiency of your individual tow vehicle. Any dealer worth their salt does a couple of simple calculations and you will know very clearly if you have the ability to tow a pod.

Hope your pod dream comes true very soon.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 3:33pm
Welcome Saxack!
We are newbies too...just got our 176T two weeks ago and are learning the ropes in the safety of our garage before we take her on the road. Unfortunately, our dealer didn't have a clue about how anything works so we are on our own except for the fine folks on this forum. I can tell you this forum is chocked full of good advice and tips....these folks know their stuff.

Also, unfortunately, the "owner's manual" from Forest River is generic and is hardly worth the paper it is printed on. I have started our own manual by copying and pasting the instructions I read from the podders on this forum.

Good luck and hope to see you on the forum if not in the campgrounds!
MissPolly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 8:33am
Sax,

Did you get your RPod yet? I would love to know how your Jeep pulled. I am going to get a 175, and I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I am curious if your Jeep does the job well.

Thanks in advance,
Polly - RPod wanna be
Faux Pod owner, mother to Strike 7 mths old future left handed relief pitcher, and Atlas 3 yr old Neo Mastiff
Flagstaff Micro Lite XLT 18RK
2008 Jeep Wrangler 4door
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 5:04pm
I pull an RP-151 with a Tacoma.  No way in hell would I attempt an RP-171 with a Jeep.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 4:42pm
Welcome to the group & many happy travels! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>