This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

New member here.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dcouch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member here.
    Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 2:58pm
Hello, new member here, Dave Couch but I have been lurking for a few years...

My pod is a 2021 RP-192 Hood River edition, love the trailer!  My tow vehicle is a 2022 F150, v8 with the HD tow package.

However that being said I learned a big lesson about buying anything built during the pandemic...

I searched for a 192 for about 6 months when I decided to finally pull the trigger and buy one.  The six months was agony since before that time they appeared fairly common, then when I went to buy it they all vanished.  I finally gave up and then the day after I gave up I found one that had just arrived to a dealer in Rock Springs WY, I am in Denver.  I called the dealer up and arranged to drive out the next day to pick it up.

That is where the fun began.

When I got the trailer home I found the pocket door for the bathroom had fallen off the sliding mechanism.  No big deal, just remove the sliders from the track, actually use the correct size screw and what do you know, no more broken door.

After that it has become a game of cat and mouse to figure out what is going to surprise me next. 

Things like both the bathroom sink and the shower with the hot & cold water pipes reversed.

The water pump also fell off on the first trip home, not like I-80 is a terrible road, just poor workmanship.  I ended up putting in a piece of wood to mount the pump.

The belly-pad flying off the trailer out in the middle of New Mexico.  Looks like they used about 1/4 of the sheet metal screws/fender washers they should have.  That was a PITA to replace by myself.

Mics. cabinet issues, I spent the last week sorting those out.

Every time I open up a cabinet or peek behind something I find tons of sawdust, handfuls of screws and  chunks of pipe and trash that have been "hidden".  Luckily for me the handfuls of screws that I have found were handy, see next item.

We drove to Maryland a few weeks ago and hit some rough roads outside of Pittsburgh PA.  When we got to the campsite outside of Frederick MD I opened up the trailer and found the microwave had slid back into it's cabinet.  In looking at the Microwave I discovered that they never screwed the microwave into the valence which holds it to the cabinet.  I got out my bag of "spare" screws and got it attached to the valence.  Once home I put in some #14 sheet metal screws and it's not going to come out on it's own again.

Anyway it's been a struggle, no one big deal but tons of "little" deals.

The thing with me is that the trailer is a perfect size for me and my wife and the truck pulls the trailer like it is not even there.  I will hang onto it but it's very frustrating to pay full list on an item and have it disintegrate around you.  Hopefully I have the kinks worked out now, as I have said I love the trailer.

But the lack of quality in manufacturing and a final quality inspection had dampened my enthusiasm  for the little guy.  It reminds me of the late 60's with cars and the horror stores of bad workmanship, beer cans hidden behind door panels etc.

Sorry about the rant, I would forward this to Forest River but from my conversations with their service departments I know it would be a waste of time.

dc
Dave Couch
Lone Tree, Colorado
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 5:21pm
I would definitely get in touch with the 'higher ups' at Forest River and send what you shared here with them, telling them first and then forwarding the paper copy.  It certainly can't hurt; companies need to take some responsibility concerning the products they turn out. 

Fortunately when we picked up our new 2011 177 back in March 2011, none of the above ever happened.  No sawdust could even be found!  Now I don't know whether FR or the dealer was responsible for the amazingly clean rpod when we took ownership. 

Getting back to your 192, tell FR your issues and please let us know their response.  Thank you.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 2:13pm
We experienced issues when we purchased our RP179 in December, 2015. Sawdust  and construction debris was everywhere. that was not immediately visible. We did not have a belly pad, but during the time of our ownership, the black water drain support broke twice, dragging the black water drain on the highway. I finally fixed it so that there would not be a third time. 

You would think that Forest River would improve. We traded the 179 for a Cherokee Grey Wolf 24JS this year. Sawdust and construction debris were still in non-visible locations. There were other issues like:  it was shipped with a non-functioning water pump. The wheel well looked like it was done by someone who simply didn't care as it was sloped from front to back instead of being parallel with the body like the other side. Siding was defective. The water pump would not pump water. There is more, but you get the idea. It is a combination of really nice features and "what were they thinking?" things. Overall though, I am happy with it. I hope you too will be happy with your RP192 as you get the irritating items fixed. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 6:05pm
I have a 192 purchased about the same time as yours.  On a trip to Nevada I had to slide the microwave oven back in and reinstall the screws also.  Other spare parts besides different size sheet metal screws is replacement cabinet door struts.  The ends will start breaking off soon.  And a tube of tan epoxy adhesive for the drape fixtures, they will come loose from the wall soon.  Welcome to the R-Pod world.
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2023 at 7:29pm
In April I had the pleasure to share a campfire with Derek and Karen from Toronto at Franklin Mountain Texas State Park. They were on a three month trip around the US. Their first ever RV trip ever. They started out in a used Terry that they setup with solar and did some light customization for their trip.

About a week or so into their journey, while pushing through some high winds and thunderstorms in Texas, the driver side wall of the Terry peeled completely off and their belongings sucked out of the trailer. Fortunately no one was hurt and they were able to recover all of their items. Unfortunately the Terry was beyond repair.

Wanting to push on, they purchased a brand new Forest River Puma and after a day of moving their belongings into the new trailer, they hit the road to continue their adventure. The next day was a longer day to make up time and when they arrived at their stop, they found the bathroom door and a cabinet door had completely come off and wreaked havoc in the trailer.

Sadly it's not just Rpods.

Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ArenaBlanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2023 at 5:14pm
We took our 195 to Alaska last year and experienced a broken pocket door issue also.  Since the slider mechanisms broke and had to be replaced, my re[air wasn't as easy as yours.  when I finally replaced the mechanisms and rehung the door, I put some pipe insulation under the bottom of the door (others  have used pool noodles).  This cushions the door on rough roads.

Enjoy Life!!
dcouch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dcouch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2023 at 4:37pm
That is a great idea with the pipe insulation, I have a bunch in my workshop so I can do that this weekend.

thanks for the tips, and sorry to see so many quality issues with a fun little trailer...
dc
Dave Couch
Lone Tree, Colorado
Pete Brayton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pete Brayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2023 at 10:27am
Welcome dcouch! I have had to re-hang my bathroom door a couple of times, it just seems like a bad design and implementation. The original screws were too short and the wood that it's screwed in to is not up to the task. There have been a few issues with my 196 but nothing too serious. 
Pete in Parker
2021 Rpod 196
2013 Ford 150 V8
Gerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 1:17pm
I empathize with your "issues." I purchased a new R-Pod 201 in July 2023 and the poor workmanship came to light after my first trip. Most of the issues are with FR but I also had issues with the dealer. My 201 has been at the dealer 4 times for the same issues-trailer brakes, entry door and water heater. I wrote to and called FR. The response was "Just take it back to the dealer." As another thread on here said-FR is counting on the dealers to save their butts. I have to drive 2-3 hours roundtrip to get to the dealer. FR gave me the names of some local authorized repair shops. I called most of them. The first one was out of business, several others told me they do not do FR warranty work because FR "Does not pay." There were others that would take my 201 BUT they are two months out. So, back to the selling dealership. I am now waiting for them to call me for my fifth visit when my THIRD entry door arrives and when the flooring comes in. At my last visit to my dealer a service tech accidentally burned my brand new floor. It sure looks like a cigarette burn but they claim it was a heat gun (heat gun for a door?). I like the setup in the 201, that's why I bought it. But, if the dealer or FR cannot repair it after this visit, I am thinking of pursuing the CA lemon law (yes, it applies to travel trailers too). 
 Post Reply Post Reply