R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

2023 Chevy Colorado - Event Date: 10 Jul 2023

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dromsie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: 2023 Chevy Colorado
    Posted: 10 Jul 2023 at 10:59am
Looking for real life experience towing a Pod with the new 2023 Chevy Colorado High Output Tune.  I live in Utah and tow a 182G in mountainous terrain with a 2017 Silverado 5.3.  Tons of power and love the truck, just looking for a smaller vehicle for everyday driving.  On paper the Colorado high output should meet our needs, with torque of 430 ft-lbs vs 383 ft-lbs in the Silverado.  I'm guessing the fuel economy will be terrible in the colorado when going up a steep grade; I'm ok with that as long as it has the power.  We take longer trips with kids, so I like to go 60-65 up the mountain passes and like having the ability to accelerate if needed (passing slower vehicles without losing momentum).  Almost pulled the trigger on the diesel colorado last year, but the dealer let me tow my Pod before signing the paperwork and the thing was an absolute dog going up a steep grade.  Got a running start on flat terrain and got the vehicle up to 70 mph before starting the climb from Park City up to Parley's summit (~ 3 mi of 7% grade) and the speedometer was at 58 mph and dropping by the top of the Summit.  Unacceptable for us when many of our trips involve going over mountain passes...backed out of the sale.  In fairness to the truck, it was my first time driving a diesel and it was brand new, so maybe the crappy towing performance was user error or can be chalked up to the engine not being broken in.  I understand that the smaller size of the colorado will have some negatives as a tow vehicle and not looking for a lecture on how I tow the pod at higher speeds.  What I am looking for is feedback from someone that has towed in high altitude, mountain terrain with a colorado and the 2.7 liter engine with a high output tune.

Thanks,

Seth

Seth
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2023 at 1:21pm
I am assuming that it is turbocharged. Plan on using premium fuel when towing. Take that into account when you make your decision. Also, it isn't just the horsepower and torque specifications. It is the tow rating. 

One thing that will help is to not think you have to be the first vehicle up the mountain. I tow at a general maximum of 60 mph. I arrive more relaxed. Also, trailer tires are not really built to go faster than 65 mph.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 8:21am
I fully understand your desire to stay with a smaller tow vehicle. I did the same thing when we purchased our 179 in 2016 and paired it with a Nissan Frontier 4.0L.  We proceeded to put 50K miles on the 179 and 80K on the Frontier in 6 years.  While the smaller truck did the job, it worked hard for every mile. Since then we have upgraded our trailer and gone to larger tow vehicle, F150 3.5 Ecoboost. 

The Colorado will do the job. You'll just need to accept the limitations of a mid-sized truck. FWIW, on the Escape forum, there is a lot of talk about the 2024 Ford Ranger with the 2.7 twin turbo V6 from the F150 line. That may be worth looking at.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
Dromsie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dromsie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 9:22am
Thanks for the great info.  I dig the Ranger, but I'm loyal to a fault to Chevy.  You're profile shows NM as your location, assuming you did a lot of mountain towing in the Nissan?  I'm not familiar with that truck, but I think this new colorado has a lot more tow capability and power.
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2023 at 9:43am
Yes, lots of towing in entire western states. New Mexico to Canadian border, Pacific Northwest, California, etc. Mountains, flats, wind, rain, snow, forest roads, Interstates, you name it.

The Nissan 4.0 engine is decidedly old school. Just about any modern HO engine will dust it. At the time is seemed like the best choice. Knowing what I know now and and having experienced the comfort and power of a full sized pickup, I would never go back to a mid-sized tow vehicle, but that is just my opinion. 
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
MTBoots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MTBoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2023 at 3:13pm
Tow our RPod 202 with v6 GMC Canyon here in AZ no problems going from 1500 to 8000+ ft on trips to White Mountains and Flagstaff area. Agree with 60-65 mph.
 Post Reply Post Reply