R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Andersen No Sway WD Hitch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote VT Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Andersen No Sway WD Hitch
    Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 11:47am
A whole new world! First time forum member, first time RVer, recently retired. We rented a 192 for our first camping experience, then we bought one! Picking it up next week. I like the Andersen No Sway Hitch but before I can see if it's compatable I need some trailer info. I was hoping to find here.For the bracket size I need the frame size. Also from a level trailer, the mesurement to the bottom of the coupler. Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide. 

Ed & Lorrie
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 1:33pm
Will it be necessary?  We have towed our 177 with 2 different Explorer's and a few different F-150's over the past 12+ years using a simple Curt friction bar over all sorts of weather and road conditions over 44,000+ miles without issue.  We tow with the nose 1 -1.5" down and keep 11% of the loaded trailer weight on the tongue (a-frame) to reduce/eliminate sway.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
VT Dad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote VT Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 4:51pm
jaco thanks, it's all new to us. 
Skip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 6:17pm
We use the Anderson hitch on a 189, love it !
Camper owner 47 years, 2 tents, 6 trailers seem to think I’ve seen it all!
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 6:23pm
What are you towing with? And you shouldn't need the data that you mentioned (frame size, couple height, etc) to determine compatibiity. More important is compatibility of the 192 with your tow vehicle, the tongue weight of the 192, etc. My first piece of avdice is to take your time and get up to speed before determining your best approach.

I use a Fastway E2 Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) and am very happy with it. It came with our first trailer, which I towed with a Honda Ridgeline. When we got our RPod (a 179), we changed to a different tow vehicle, and recently replaced that with a Ford F150. I have been using the WDH throughout and am sold on the benefits of using one. Even though on paper the F150 can handle the rPod without it, I just really prefer the way the rig handles with the WDH - much smoother ride.

One resource that you might want to look at is eTrailer.com. I've purchased stuff from them before, and their website has a wealth of information, including demo and installation videos, as well as comparisons. 

One last thing to consider is whether you want to (and are capable of) doing the install yourself. Its totally doable if you are handy with tools, and will really help you understand how the systems work. But for some, it would be a challenge, and you'd have to factor in the cost of having a shop do the install for you. 
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Ben Herman

And you shouldn't need the data that you mentioned (frame size, couple height, etc) to determine compatibiity. 

The details are to order the correct parts.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by poston

Originally posted by Ben Herman

And you shouldn't need the data that you mentioned (frame size, couple height, etc) to determine compatibiity. 

The details are to order the correct parts.

Well, you should be able to get that from Forest River, your dealer, or perhaps another owner of the same trailer. But you also have to take into consideration the ball height on your tow vehicle to make sure that you're ordering the right hitch configuration (I had to change mine out when I went to the F150)
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 6:59pm
We have been towing RPods for 12 years. We started with a 173  towed by a chevy Astro van.  Then we moved to a 179 towed by a Ford Expedition EL. We have been from NC all over the country.

ALL of our towing has been with an Equalizer 4 point anti sway WDH. I will not tow without the antisway and wdh.
The Expedition is built on a F150 frame, and running gear, engine and suspension.  I might not require a wdh , but it makes the towing so much more comfortable.  It is much smoother ride, no jerking, less bouncing, better tracking  and better weight distribution for our setup.

A good towing experience has many facets-load distribution,quality tires correctly inflated,  total cargo weight, tow vehicle size/power, etc.  Most of those variables will come together slowly as you tow more often and become more aware of the differences.

I would suggest that you closely examine your tow vehicle specifications, check the RPod specs and talk with people who have similar rigs. Pay particular attention to the individual and combined weights of the two vehicles.

bottom line---You may or may not NEED a wdh, but you will need a good quality hitch and it will cost hundreds of dollars.  Do you spend the lesser amount now and wish you had bought the wdh or do you go ahead and make your towing experience better and buy the wdh now. You don't want to buy 2 hitch setups.

Regardless if you buy wdh or not, make sure whatever you buy is a quality unit designed for your weights and vehicles.   It is vital to insure that the hitch  is installed and adjusted properly for your tow vehicle and the trailer you will be towing.  also, stop by a scales and get it weighed as a good starting point toward loading and distribution.

Travel safe and often
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
VT Dad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote VT Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 7:56pm
Ben,

Thanks, That's why I'm here. Great advice!
VT Dad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote VT Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 8:08pm
Hay Vann, Love the Expedition, a long time ago.... used to pull my daughters horses around with one, no problem, but only short distances. Now travel is going to be a little different. Looking forward to it, just want to make sure we're safe. Thank you for the good advice! Ed
 Post Reply Post Reply