R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

How much does the spare tire weigh?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Iza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much does the spare tire weigh?
    Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 8:43pm
Hello, I would like to know the weight of the spare tire with the rack on a R-pod 190.  It's that I added a 7 inch extension to my receiver to carry my 15 gallon waste water tank when empty. I put the tank between the tire and the trailer. Everything is holding up great, but I'd like to make sure the weight of the spare tire on the 7 inch extender is okay.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 10:56am
Too much. That 15 gallons is over 120 lbs. Just by itself is over what Forrest River allows for the hitch regardless of what the spare (and bracket) weigh.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Too much. That 15 gallons is over 120 lbs.

I was thinking that he intended to just carry it there empty - maybe 30 lbs?

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
Iza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 8:47pm
No, the empty tank is only 30 lbs. I just nee the weigh of the spare tire.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 9:35pm
It's not simply the weight of the spare tire and holder but now that you have extended that weight out by 7 inches is HUGE.  There is a equation that shows for every inch you extend weight out from its original position there is a large proportional weight gain at the hitch point.  I wouldn't recommend carrying the way the picture shows (even with an empty tank) but you could probably get by if you left the spare tire in its original position and strapped the empty tank on the back of the spare (opposite positions of the picture).
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Iza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2023 at 10:20pm
Good idea, but à don't know if I can put the extension after the spare. I will check. 
With the U bolt it doesn't seem to be too heavy.
Iza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2023 at 10:52pm
Yes, it's just too transport the empty tank :)
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 10:30am
I still wouldn't do it because of the large moment arm. If you want to carry something like that, I would reinforce the back part of the Rpod frame and put a 2" receiver in there like a few people have done.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 4:47pm
Some folks have also relocated the spare under the pod...there are brackets made specifically for that
Julie
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 5:07pm
I have a similar looking, 12 gal, I think, tank that fits behind my spare without an extender. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>