R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

2022 RPod 190 Elecrric Hot water not working.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2022 RPod 190 Elecrric Hot water not working.
    Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 5:29pm
My 2022 190 appears to be experiencing an issue with the electric heating element in the water tank. Propane heats it quickly and without issue but electric does nothing.

I’ve Flipped the breaker and reset the unit via the button behind the panel.

Not sure what else there is I can do here.

I’m really good about making sure the switch is off before water is in the tank and before draining the tank after camping. This worked fine a month ago when we last camped.

This camper is starting to turn into a nightmare. Ugh.
Nicholas Palumbo
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 5:59pm
By "reset the unit," what do you mean? The outside cover has a switch buried behind the gas plumbing. Is it possible that the switch is in the "off" position? 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
npalumbo89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 6:01pm
Yes that switch is on. And there are two rubber switches towards the top of the unit that are marked as reset. One for LP and the other for electric
Nicholas Palumbo
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 6:08pm
The trailer is plugged in to shore power? Did you verify that the trailer is actually getting AC power?
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 6:18pm
Yup that’s confirmed. Everything else is functioning as it should. AC unit is blowing cold air and cooling the camper.
Nicholas Palumbo
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 6:44pm
By "breaker" do you mean the breaker in the breaker/fuse panel inside the pod, as opposed to the switch outside on the water heater itself.  Both need to be in the on position.  If so, you may have a bad heater element.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 7:00pm
Yeah both are on. That’s my fear that it’s shot.
Nicholas Palumbo
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 7:31pm
There should be some good videos to show you how to replace the element. I have not had to do so, but I understand that it is not too difficult.

Edit: It looks like the element is about $20 on Amazon. 

This video should help with replacing the element:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBwrOO1h_E0
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 8:13pm
I've never replaced an element on the pod but I have on home water heaters.  Stephen's right; it's pretty easy and not expensive.  "Easy" and "not expensive" are relative terms, but if you know which end of a screwdriver to grab you can probably manage.

If you have a multimeter, check that electricity is getting to the element, and if you know what you're doing, check the resistance across the element itself.  Make sure the electricity is off and if it's not an open circuit it's probably good.  Anyway, the element is about the easiest fix and probably worth trying.  Worst case, you replace a good element and you have a spare....

As far as I know, the common cause for failed WH elements is not filling the water heater before turning it on.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2023 at 8:58pm
Thanks for the link I’ll maybe look into. I can work a screwdriver but not so much too familiar with messing with electrical.

It’s still under warranty until the end of next month and then I have the extended warranty. I’m wondering if it could be covered under that.
Nicholas Palumbo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>