R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

2022 190 how screwed am I? Rotting Wood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2022 190 how screwed am I? Rotting Wood
    Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 4:06pm
Noticed some ants In my camper as I was prepping it and making the bed. So I opened up the bed and removed the plywood to discover black ants in the front driver corner at the base of the wall. I sprayed some spray and tons came out… so that’s my first problem that I’m trying to figure out. Once I discovered that I noticed what looked like rust or dirt on top of one of the trim pieces that covers the wall panel seams and as I went to scrape at it with my nail the piece of trim easily popped lose. The whole piece peeled away from the rusted tack that held it in place. But now I can definitely see the trim is rotted and behind the wall appears to be rotting as well.

Not really sure what to do. Quite frustrated by this.

I do have the extended warranty but not sure if that’s gunna help me here.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Here’s a pic of the trim and wall

https://ibb.co/smTBDn1
Nicholas Palumbo
Rpod-Couple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpod-Couple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 9:53pm
The fact that the fabric is still adhering to the 1/8” plywood is a good sign. You may be able to carefully clean with vinegar or a weak bleach solution and reattach the trim. Does it appear moisture may have gotten in? If so that maybe a warranty item. If wet, the source of the leak needs to be found and fixed.
Steve & Elaine
2021 R-pod
2023 VW Atlas Cross Sport
npalumbo89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 10:13pm
Okay good point. Looking at the back of the wood there definitely is some rot on it which would have to be from moisture. I noticed some bubbling on the opposite side of the window too after posting this so moisture is a r has been in the wall. Nothing appears wet at the moment and we’ve had two days straight of non stop rain so the fact that I didn’t see a big puddle under the bed would be a good sign too. But looking where the black ants were on the base of the floor and then the rotted piece of trim and then the bubbling it doesn’t seem good. I’m going to call the dealer tomorrow and schedule a service visit. I didn’t want to go ripping into that wall on my own if it’s potentially covered under warranty. Visual inspection of the seals up top seem good to my eye but I’m wondering if it’s from the widow window unit on the front.

Would the ants be after the rotten wood? There’s definitely no food. I’ve thoroughly cleaned this thing many times. There’s the hose used for winterizing that an under there as well but they don’t seem attracted to the dried up antifreeze on the end of that short line.

Thanks for replying and giving some slight hope.
Nicholas Palumbo
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2023 at 10:43pm
You are making the right move by contacting your dealer. It seems to me to be a similar problem we had with our house where moisture from a defective and badly installed chimney cap encouraged ants to move in and build a nest. It was a chore getting rid of them. I hope the best for you.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
npalumbo89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 5:13pm
So, I have an appointment scheduled for last month but the service didn't give me any confidence that this issue would likely be covered under the factory or extended warranty..

I don't have a good feeling about this :/
Nicholas Palumbo
 Post Reply Post Reply