R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Battery Question - AGM vs GEL?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Question - AGM vs GEL?
    Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 11:42am
Hi all - I know that there are lots of battery-savvy members on here, thought that I'd throw up a question that's puzzling me and see if I can get any insights. I'm looking to replace the battery in my 179 - its not a true deep cycle, and its beyond its useful life, at lest for our needs. 

I've honed in on replacing it with a Renogy battery, I use one of their 100w suitcase solar units and have been very happy with their products and company responsiveness and reputation. 

There are two batteries that I am looking at - both are 12V 100 Ah  batteries. One is an AGM lead acid battery, the other is what they call "Hybrid GEL'. The cost difference is not significant ($189 vs $215 for the GEL). By all indicators, the GEL looks like a better approach - longer lifecycle, no maintenance. But I am not familiar with the technology and wanted to see if anyone here has. 

I did look at converting to Lithium, but the cost of the battery with all of the other equipment that I would need is not in the cards. Living in the west, solar recharge is almost always an option as well.

So let me know if you have any thoughts on the GEL battery. Appreciated as always!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 1:50pm
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 2:30pm
I can't comment on the two batteries but I'll second your assessment of Renogy. I also bought the "suitcase" first.  Liked it and liked them. So when it was time to buy a new battery I went with them even though the cost was a bit higher. I went with lithium but my new camper is already set up for it so the only extra cost was the extra cost of the battery itself. It would have been too much for me too, if it hadn't been.
Julie
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 4:53pm
A quick search of the Googles and it looks like the biggest advantage of the gel battery is lifespan over the AGM. If my use case involved the battery(s) being located in a difficult place to access or the need for longevity before replacement is required, the gel would probably be best. For an Rpod 179 where the battery is easy to access and service, I would go with a conventional flooded lead acid deep cycle over the AGM and pocket coin for some other improvement in the trailer. 
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 5:12pm
Thx all - unless I can find a compelling reason to do so, I'll probably go with the Renogy AGM. It's about the same price as a good quality conventional deep cycle battery locally. The only issue I can seem to find regarding the GEL batteries is that you have to be careful that your charger (in my case, the stock RPod converter) does not go over 14.7 volts. I'm pretty sure that's not a problem, and will dig into the literature to see if it is. And they also cannot be overcharged, which would damage the battery . 
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by gpokluda

A quick search of the Googles and it looks like the biggest advantage of the gel battery is lifespan over the AGM. If my use case involved the battery(s) being located in a difficult place to access or the need for longevity before replacement is required, the gel would probably be best. For an Rpod 179 where the battery is easy to access and service, I would go with a conventional flooded lead acid deep cycle over the AGM and pocket coin for some other improvement in the trailer. 

+1  Contrary to popular opinion, LA batteries will last a long time, given proper maintenance. That basically includes these 3 simple guidelines: keep water levels up using only distilled water, keep posts clean of corrosion, do not draw down below 12.2v before recharging. 

By following those 3 simple steps my oldest battery, a 12v Interstate group size 24 deep cycle turned 12 years old 2 months ago and is still going strong, and is used a lot as we boondock a fair amount.  We also have a 2.5 year old Trojan T-1275 that gives 160 AH of service, a great and reliable battery!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2023 at 7:13pm
Thx Jim, that's certainly an option to consider. Thing is, the Renogy AGM is only $30 more than the Interstate LA, and is 100 Ah. So I may go that route. One of the issues that I have is that our Pod storage is in the alley driveway behind our house, facing direct south. It gets really hot back there in the summer (some days 100+, not to mention the black battery box) so I suspect that takes a toll on the battery. Not sure that I am up for pulling it out of the Pod each time we use it, though...

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2023 at 7:38pm
Update - got the Renogy GE: battery; well constructed, heavy at 65 lbs but easy to move with built-in rope handles. I installed it a few weeks ago (required a larger than standard battery box), had our first trip this week with it and it made a huge difference. Started out at 12.7 volts, never went below 12.4 after 3 days of normal use, including mornings with furnace on, and more light use than we usually do. Gonna wish that I did this a while ago. 
nicklee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote nicklee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 2:32am

I have 2x100Ah renogy batteries currently in 2 separate battery boxes. I’d like to get them both in one box, has anyone used any good boxes suitable for 2 batteries?

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 9:15am
They're pretty big batteries, not sure that I've seen a box big enough to hold 2. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>