R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Any tricks regarding using fresh-water tank?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod_Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any tricks regarding using fresh-water tank?
    Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 2:45pm
Thanks all.

Not sure we need to sanitize since we only drink adult beverages while camping and already use jug water for cooking.  I'll have to figure out how to get all the water out of the pump when winterizing since I always just use compressed air.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 4:22pm
Just run the pump after emptying the tank. The pump will not be damaged by running dry briefly. In addition, remove the strainer bowl and empty it. It serves two purposes. One is to drain water that could freeze. The other is to empty out all the trash that might be in there.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 4:55pm
If you have a compressor with high volume you may be surprised to find no water in the strainer bowl, but check it regardless after doing the air method.  For 11 years I have used 80-90 psi to blow out our 177.  One line is always kept open while blowing out, takes about 2 minutes to go through everything twice.  Did a check on both strainer bowl and low point drains after doing this method for the first 2 years, result was that the bowl was totally dry and each low point drain had about 2-3 drops of water in it so since then bowl and lpd's havent' been checked after blowing out.  Happy to report - no freeze damage ever and this is in the cold northern Michigan area where winters can get pretty 'nippy.'
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod_Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 10:47am
So I'm trying to fill the tank and water just pours out the drain at the bottom.The black cap on the drain just spins. This ain't working. Grrrr.
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 12:38pm
Do you have a hexagon shaped place above the cap on the pipe? If so, you may need to hold that with a wrench while trying to remove/tighten the cap. Also, there should be a little gasket inside the cap that helps seal it.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod_Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 4:29pm
I probably need a picture of what the assembly on the bottom of the tank drain is supposed to look like. I suspect mine is not complete.
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2023 at 4:52pm
Post a picture of what you have please. Our Grey Wolf has valves so I can't post one.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod_Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 9:12am
There was no plug in the fresh water tank drain.  I bought a 3/8" and 1/2" plug; the 1/2" screwed in to the fitting.  Pretty sure that was the issue.

Before adding plug:

2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod_Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 4:08pm
One last story:  So we filled the FW tank, and with the pump on all we got was a lot of air and a trickle of water.  Pump stayed running too.  Well, FR had winterized with antifreeze before delivery and didn't bother closing the valve to the short intake hose that one uses to suck antifreeze into the system Censored

Closed that valve and the fresh-water system worked great.  Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 4:10pm
That happened to me also when we first got the RP-179. Frustrated me to no end until I got that figured out.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12