R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Any tricks regarding using fresh-water tank?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod_Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any tricks regarding using fresh-water tank?
    Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 11:19am
So we may need to use the fresh-water tank system for the first time.

Any gotchas to watch out for (like overfilling the tank and causing an explosion)?

Should the pump be left on (assuming it works)?

Thanks...
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
hank*pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote hank*pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 2:25pm
The tank is vented; the vent is in the same fixture you use to pour water into the tank (assuming the techs at FR connected all of the pipes properly - be cautious the first couple of times...) so it's extremely unlikely that you'll explode anything.

I tend to turn the pump off if I'm going away for more than an hour. I'd hate for a leak to suddenly develop and the pump dutifully empty the tank wherever (I'd also turn off the hydrant if I was connected to a water supply). But no harm in leaving it turned on while you're there. The pump might run a second or two in the night (but more pumping suggests a leak...).

Not a bad idea to sanitize with bleach ahead of first use, and whenever the water system hasn't been used in a few weeks. Bypass the water heater first. Dilute 1/2 to 3/4 cup household bleach in a gallon of water, pour into the fresh water fill, then fill the tank completely with water and run hot and cold taps for a couple of minutes to circulate the water thru the lines. Let sit for 12-24 hours then drain the water system and refill the lines with fresh water and the tank with however much you travel with - I generally add 10 gallons for the road. A little more if I'm boondocking.

Become familiar with the location of the water pump and the associated inlet strainer. It needs to be cleaned out periodically (once a year, maybe).

If you run the pump don't forget it when winterizing. I use antifreeze so it's less critical to get all of the water out of the pump.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 4:47pm
I agree with all but bypassing the water heater tank. Sanitizing it is important also. There are bacteria that don't mind hot water and the chlorine won't hurt the anode rod. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 6:24pm
We went 5 years w/o sanitizing our FW tank.  I would not recommend that but it basically only had our well water in it (never had city or muni water, and hasn't to this day).  So after sanitizing for the first time in 2016 we had a new problem.  I couldn't stand the taste or smell of the bleach in the FW tank.  After a few different concoctions we came up with one that included white vinegar and concentrated lemon juice that got rid of the nasty smell and funny taste and have done that ever since, now that we sanitize once per year.  Yes, we do use our FW tank for drinking!

Our pump is left on unless we are traveling, then it is turned off.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
mikeyg2347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 8:29am
I completely agree with not using bleach. We used a small  amount of bleach in our FW tank a few years ago and that nasty taste was with us all year. I haven't cleaned out the tank since then and our water tastes fine and as far as I can tell there is no mold in the system. 

ABSOLUTELY turn your pump off when traveling. I accidently left mine on while driving on a rough road. One of the faucet handles vibrated open, water started flowing, splashed off the cutting board sink cover, flowed onto the floor and saturated everything. While driving I happened to look at my passenger side mirror and saw water leaking out the door. Total disaster. Water had splashed and run everywhere and the entire kitchen/dining area was soaked. We never used the cutting board anyway so I threw it away after that fiasco. Now if I were to space out turning the pump off and a faucet handle vibrated open the water would run down the sink drain.
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 8:41am
Having experienced algae growth in the fresh water tank more than once, I am strongly in favor of sanitizing the tank at the beginning of the season and, if needed, repeating. Chlorine may not taste good, but a pitcher filter for drinking water will fix that while ensuring that you have safe water. I do agree about turning the pump off while traveling, even though I have not turned it of and have not experienced  problems with the RPod. We have not traveled yet with the Grey Wolf, so I can't say the same for it yet.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 9:15am
I still think the best water tank story is one where the owner put Dawn detergent in one of the waste tanks. .... when they were stopped by a foam covered CHP patrol vehicle on I-5.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 10:00am
Our well water has relatively high levels of dissolved solids, so we treat it with a bit of vinegar and run it through the pipes to dissolve that. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Pod_Geek

Should the pump be left on (assuming it works)?

Thanks...

+1 on the sanitization advice. You can also you vinegar if you don't want to use chlorine.

We only use the pump when we are using water. Same goes for city water which remains off when not in use. RV fixtures aren't the best so we limit the risk.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by john in idaho

I still think the best water tank story is one where the owner put Dawn detergent in one of the waste tanks. .... when they were stopped by a foam covered CHP patrol vehicle on I-5.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>