R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Brake adjustment gone wrong: brake seized up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote renhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake adjustment gone wrong: brake seized up
    Posted: 29 May 2023 at 12:04am
Hey guys, I was trying to adjust the brake (based on youtube videos which says to adjust both sides to some friction, so the self adjusting can work its way). 
Right side went fine, but I screwed up big time on the left side. As I somehow adjusted the screw to the end and now it wouldn't budge. and to make it worse I got confused which side to go for loosening up(up or down), and now it's to the point it won't return. 
I tried to take off the wheels and see if I can simply remove the spindle, but I couldn't. 
I tried to force the spindle to take off by prying, still no luck. 
And I am afraid I may have damaged something during this process. 
Any suggestions? 
I do my own DIY on a lot of things around the house, and this is definitely the one of the biggest (and maybe most costly) screw up for me. 
thanks a lot guys. 
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 1:47pm
Most of us that do our own brake adjustment have done this.  Take a small flat bladed screw driver and very carefully lift the arm up off the star wheel and rotate the wheel in the direction that loosens the shoes with another screw driver.  Look closely at the thread pitch on the screw and you might be able to tell which way to rotate the wheel.  I think on Lippert's web sight they might have directions to adjust the brakes and might show witch side turns what way?  Not sure. 
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 2:12pm
I found some information on Etrailers web site that might help.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-344865.html
With pictures!
renhui View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote renhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 9:57pm
Thanks a lot for the replies esp. the reference to etrailer website. 
the problem right now is seems no matter what I can move the adjustment wheel, it's simply stuck there (might be due to damaged thread). 
And I tried to take off the spindle after taking off the wheel, and it's simply not budging, tried to brute force it, still no luck, and I am afraid I've caused other damage through the process. 
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 11:48pm
The tread part of the wheel might be corroded.  Spray very little of tri-flow or some kind of penetrating fluid on the treads.  Try not to get any on the shoes.  One of the issues I had was the teeth on the star wheel were worn down and could not rotate the wheel.  Had to pry the drum off the shoes.  Was not easy.  I purchased a complete back plate with shoes just for the star wheel.  NAPA might have a replacement star wheel.
James07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote James07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 10:38pm
I too turned the star wheel the wrong direction and it stuck shut.  Tried everything to loosen with no luck. Removed the entire brake assembly off the hub and tried to beat it apart.  Wound up damaging it.  Had to replace both drum and wheel assembly.  
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 10:02am
As a suggestion I use copper anti seize on all the contact places of the shoes and back plate and on the threads of the star wheel.
renhui View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote renhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2023 at 12:43pm
Again, appreciate all your replies. 
Here is a quick update from me: 
I was able to remove the whole hub/brake assembly from the trailer, which allows me to see things a bit more clearly and work more efficiently. (put on some penetrating oil and the four nuts aren't really difficult to remove with the right tool. (my ratchet wrench pays off in a tight space like this). 
After that, I was able to move the adjustment wheel again to loose the brake shoes, and finally removed the hub assembly from the brake assembly. 
I learned that I could tell which way to go by looking at the thread direction. 
Now I am trying to assess how much damage I may have caused so far. 
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2023 at 9:15pm
Do you have jack stands under the axle holding up the trailer?  Please never trust a jack to hold up anything.  
renhui View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote renhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2023 at 1:23am
@Seafans, I did have jack stands under the axle beside the jack. 

One thing though is my newer 4 ton jack is able to jack up the rpod enough so the wheel can turn freely, but my older 2 ton can't lift it up enough. 
 Post Reply Post Reply